PDA

View Full Version : AAW Symposium (LONG)

bob edwards
06-06-2009, 2:50 PM
For those of you that frequent the AAW web site or those that are attending this years symposium I would like to make you aware of one of the Special interust groups that will meet on Fri. night. I have long believed we don't give enough attention to the new turner. This is more likely to be people who are retired or have reached the level of comfort in thier lifes that they can take the time to enjoy a hobby without dening thier work or family. "Newbie Night" is my attempt to address this segment of our hobby.
Let me try to give some background on how this event came about and how I hope it will work.
When Al Hockenbury asked for suggestions for the Special interest night on Friday I suggested a forum for new turners. Well after 22 years in the Military I should have known that to suggest is to volunteer! I have been turning for over thirty years but am by no means a professional, although I have been demonstrating around the south west for several years. It is my opinion that the more people involved on both sides of the table in this venture the greater the discussion and the more ideas and opinions will be put out there. So far several people have volunteered to offer their experience to the discussion.
Al Hockenbury, Vince Welch, and Mike Hunter for a start. Steve Worchester and John Jordan have offered to assist if they have no other commitment. I hope there will be others. For those of you that have not attended a Special Interest Night, this is not a demonstration but a casual discussion of ideas and experiences. However we do have a room with a lathe and I assume will be able to demonstrate an idea or a technique. If you have a project, a tool or an idea you would like to get some input on this is the place. And remember we are all “newbies in that none of us know it all. Well maybe most of us don’t know it all!! So I hope to s ee you on the night.
You may know the people I mentioned who will attend but you may know nothing about me. You can find out about me on my club's website.

Bob Edwards

www.alamoturners.com/bedwards (http://www.alamoturners.com/bedwards)