PDA

View Full Version : Laundry Cabinets - "first project" and first post

Pat Stewart
06-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Long time lurker, first time to post. Thanks to all the posts on SMC and to the people that I PM'd.

I started remodeling our laundry room two winters ago and I finally got around to making the upper cabinets this past winter. The room is about 6'-0" long and 5'-0" wide with a 3'-0" x 3'-0" nook where the washer/dryer is sitting. The room use to have a "regular" washer dryer in it (sorry, no before pics) on the wall where the upper cabinets are mounted. The old washer hook ups are perfect for a base cabinet and sink which I'll start on this fall.

Carcass: pre-finished Birch plywood

Face frame and raised panel: Cherry (except for the Walnut raised panel on the side)

Rail and stile: Walnut

Hettich euro hinges

cheap pulls from Lowes

Oak dowel for hanger rod

Deft sanding sealer and satin lacquer for finish.

I left the back and top open incase I need to get into the wall. I may put an outlet in the cabinet so I can run low voltage lighting under the cabinets.

This was a learning experience that will help out on the base cabinet and counter with sink that I'll do this fall and other projects I haven't even thought of yet.

About five years ago I bought the Sommerfelds cabinet making set (router, table, bits, pocket jig and videos) and I'm just getting around to using it.

Thanks,

Mike

John Thompson
06-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Beautiful cabinets.. excellent work and hard to believe your first project and you certainly didn't spare any change for laundry room cabinets. I would love to have them in my kitchen where everyone that visits will see as I've been putting it off too long at this point.

Very nice...

Sarge..

John Keeton
06-06-2009, 2:21 PM
Mike, excellent job on those. I love walnut - with nearly anything. Over time, the cherry and walnut will both take on a different look, as you know, and the overall warmth of the look will increase substantially. Very nice work!

And, welcome to the creek!!

gary Zimmel
06-06-2009, 2:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Pat!

Beautiful set of cabinets for your laundry room.

Todd Burch
06-06-2009, 2:32 PM
I will call those doors "BOLD!" That's a statement and a half with those wider rails and stiles.

Now you are going to have to find a fridge that will go where the traditional washer and dryer go, since your W&D took up the fridge spot!

Looks great!

The old washer hook ups are perfect for a base cabinet and sink which I'll start on this fall.

Another 2 years? I hope not!

Todd

Jeffrey Makiel
06-06-2009, 8:44 PM
Now that's a great first post!

-Jeff :)

Jim Kountz
06-06-2009, 9:38 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Those cabinets look awesome, great job!!

Jim Becker
06-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Very nice work! And welcome, too.

Jim Rimmer
06-06-2009, 10:20 PM
nice post and great work. One question - why does the hangar rod extend through and into the adjoining cabinet? :confused:

Sam Layton
06-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi Pat,

Welcome to the Creek. Those are good looking cabinets. Did you use the Summerfelds tung and grove bits. If so, what did you think? I am building a bathroom vanity using the tung and grove bits...

Good job, Sam

Pat Stewart
06-07-2009, 9:27 AM
Mike, excellent job on those. I love walnut - with nearly anything. Over time, the cherry and walnut will both take on a different look, as you know, and the overall warmth of the look will increase substantially. Very nice work!

And, welcome to the creek!!

John,

I have read and heard from people about the different looks over time especially on cherry. After I machined the upper raised panels, they probably sat for two to three weeks before I finished them. During this time they darkened.

I like the way the walnut machines. I was surprised I actually chose walnut. My parents house was built in the 70's when they were on the "dark stain fad" for the wood and I really didn't care for it. Putting a clear finish on the walnut looks a 100 times better than the dark stained wood. I think I fall in the categories of using the wood species with the color you want instead of staining it to the color desired. I'm sure that will change on some project.....

Pat Stewart
06-07-2009, 9:42 AM
I will call those doors "BOLD!" That's a statement and a half with those wider rails and stiles.

Now you are going to have to find a fridge that will go where the traditional washer and dryer go, since your W&D took up the fridge spot!

Looks great!

Another 2 years? I hope not!

Todd

Todd,

What drove the door width is kind of hard to see in the over-exposed pics. I have a twin 4 ft. fluorescent light fixture (yes, on the ceiling :D) that the upper doors would have hit if I made them wider.

The rail and stiles are 2 7/16" wide. The groove depth is 7/16". This makes it easy to figure panel and rail width.

What's some examples of changing rail and stile width? Inquiring people want to know.

I think I'll pass on the fridge. It's kind of a tight space and I would have another place to put beer which would make me drink more....

Pat Stewart
06-07-2009, 9:48 AM
nice post and great work. One question - why does the hangar rod extend through and into the adjoining cabinet? :confused:

Jim,

When I did a test mount on the first cabinet, I realized I wasn't going to be able to mount the hanger rod if the first cabinet was mounted so I left the hanger rod long and put it in the mounting hole on the cabinet and installed the cabinet. Once the cabinet was mounted, I cut the hanger rod to length. The hanger rod is about 2 foot long. I looked at how much hanging laundry we have in a weeks time to figure up the length.

Pat Stewart
06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi Pat,

Welcome to the Creek. Those are good looking cabinets. Did you use the Summerfelds tung and grove bits. If so, what did you think? I am building a bathroom vanity using the tung and grove bits...

Good job, Sam

Sam,

I did use the Sommerfelds T&G set. I like them. I don't really have anything (router bits or construction methods) to compare them to since this is my first time using them on a project. In the past I used them with scrap wood. The matched height of the bits is nice so you can change bits without touching router height (same with the rail and stile set). I would say my biggest problem on the project is getting stock square and flat. I can see a little wider gaps here and there on T&G and rail/stile joints. I did use featherboards on the router table. Practice, practice, practice.

Matt Armstrong
06-07-2009, 1:16 PM
Why did you have to post this? My first cabinet making attempt is going to turn out looking like garbage now, by comparison!

What beautiful work!

sean m. titmas
06-07-2009, 1:23 PM
nice work Pat, i really like the color scheme with the tile, paint, and wood species. it has a very custom look.