PDA

View Full Version : Mark II Sharpening System????

Carroll Courtney
06-06-2009, 8:51 AM
Guys,I pick this up at a garage sale last weekend and trying to fine some info on it.The seller said that the grinder had been in storage for about 15-20yrs and he beleive that his dad purchase it from Woodcraft up in the northen states.I have google it and nothing pops up,other than new sharpening systems.If you have a manuel that fits this or close to it,or have any info,could you let me know?Its for sharpening turning tools,I guess anything else that will fit on the tool rest.Thanks again SMCer's---Carroll

John Schreiber
06-06-2009, 2:08 PM
I don't have any specifics about it, but it looks to be a belt grinder. A grinding/sanding belt would go on the right side. The belt can be better than a grinding wheel because you can change the grit easily and it doesn't get as hot as fast as a grinding wheel. Some are also set up so you can grind against the unsupported part of the belt. That's handy for knife shaping/sharpening.

If the motor appears to be in good shape, I'd say it's worth using. If the belt is not a currently standard length, there are a plenty of places which will make custom lengths.

Rick Lizek
06-06-2009, 3:21 PM
Guys,I pick this up at a garage sale last weekend and trying to fine some info on it.The seller said that the grinder had been in storage for about 15-20yrs and he beleive that his dad purchase it from Woodcraft up in the northen states.I have google it and nothing pops up,other than new sharpening systems.If you have a manuel that fits this or close to it,or have any info,could you let me know?Its for sharpening turning tools,I guess anything else that will fit on the tool rest.Thanks again SMCer's---Carroll

It's for sharpening anything that will fit on it, plane irons, chisels, etc. You charge the buffing wheel with buffing compond and use a "rake" to keep it in shape. Stock belts are available from McMaster. Very nice and simple system. Sharpen on the belt then buff on the buffer. A felt wheel on the buffer end will improve it a bit. Buffing compound for steel is needed. Fast and won't overheat tools. It was designed and sold by Woodcraft years ago and retailed for around $300.