PDA

View Full Version : Disston 112 - long (with Pics)

Vince Sandy
08-19-2004, 8:24 AM
Like many of you, when I can find the time I like to go rust hunting. Good finds have been few and far between but I have managed to discover a few handsaws lately. When I bought the one pictured here at a local flea market I wasn't sure what it was. I could see by the medallion that it was a Disston dated 1896-1917 and it was in very good condition, although the minor rust hid any trace of an etch. I paid the $3.00 the man was asking for it. While restoring its beauty I was delighted to see that it is a 24" Disston 112 with original applewood handle and great etch. It is filed crosscut at 12 PPI. The 112 was manufactured from 1903 to 1928, so this saw was manufactured sometime in the years 1903 - 1917. From the Disstonian Institute:

"The Disston No. 12 and subsequent D-12 handsaw could be considered their top of the line saw, with the possible exception of the Victory saws. The saw is a work of art on a mass-produced scale. Like the No. 9 saw, it has London Spring steel" "It also has an ornate chip-carved applewood handle with the old-style mounting, the mounting similar to a No. 7. The saw feels big in the hand, quite different from the D-8 and similar, later saws. There is also a skewback version of the saw, No. 112, sold 1903-1928, followed by the D-112."

"What made the No. 12 saw more expensive and higher in quality was the work that went into it. The blade was subjected to more hammer work than lesser-quality saws to give tension to the steel. The blade was then highly polished. The controlled introduction of internal stresses into the cold steel through hammering and subsequent tempering, resulting in a "tensioned" saw blade, creates a blade that is less likely to wander or vibrate unnecessarily in use. An added result of this tensioning is a blade that has a characteristic ringing sound when tapped."

This particular saw has a few minor problems. The top horn has been shortened but otherwise the handle is in very good condition. It is missing about 5 teeth and has a noticable "dent" at the toothed edge about 4" from the tip. I'm guessing that the saw will have to be "re-toothed" because of the missing teeth. If so, the dent would be eliminated in the process. You can also see that I replaced the missing screw/nut.

If you look at the etch you'll notice that the letter "i" is missing from the words "SPRING" and "REFINED". Since the rest of the etch is very clear, I'm wondering if it left the factory without the "i".

I hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks, Vince

Jerry Palmer
08-19-2004, 9:44 AM
Very nice saw, and a great job rehabilitating it. The 112s are just rare enough that some folks don't know what they have. I got this one on e-bay for a good price, a bit more than the $3.00 you paid, and decided to take a shot at making a tote for it since the top horn had been removed. It cleaned up real nice.

http://home.austin.rr.com/sawduster/Handsaws/112%20Cherry%2002.jpg

James Carmichael
08-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Beautiful job, Vince. How about sharing the steps you used to refinish the handle?

A 112 is sort of my dream saw, combining the quality of the 12 with the ergonomics of the D8. Unfortunately, there's little in the way of WW rust here in North Texas, I have to rely on Ebay.

Vince Sandy
08-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Jerry, Thanks for the comments. Also, thanks for the reply to my questions about making handsaw handles. The information is helpful since I have a couple of saws that need handles.

James, you can refer to my post in this forum entitles "2.5 Hrs to a new Disston Backsaw". That thread describes the procedures I use to refurbish old handsaws.

The handle on this 112 was a real bear to get clean. The paint splatters were particularly difficult, especially in the wheat carving. I used the turpentine/beeswax/lemon oil mixture and "dental" picks, tooth brushes, razor blade (carefully), and steel wool. It took a while but the result was worth it.

Vince