PDA

View Full Version : Summer Road trip, hoping for meet & greet

John Fricke
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Mods feel free to move this thread if you need to, I posted here because I primarily wanted turners responses.

Loml, youngest son and I are planning a 2 week road trip this summer. First 2 weeks of August. Our itinerary not set in stone but if I was going to be driving through your town and time allows I would love to pop in and say HI. I may even bring a few chunks of walnut along if their is the possibility of a few wood swaps. Our tentative route is as follows:

Central MI thru Chicago to Mount Rushmore.
Mount Rushmore to Cody, WY (home of my estranged sis last I knew, hope to find her)
Cody to Yellowstone
Yellowstone to Glacier Nat'l park
Glacier thru Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon to Carlsbad Caverns
Carlsbad to New Orleans to Mobile AL
Mobile back to Central MI.

If you have any suggestions of where to source native woods along the way and what species to look for please post or PM me. If you think it possible I will be driving by please PM me contact info. Thanks and turn safe.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
John,

You will be a little east of me but wave as you go past.

You will enjoy Glacier and Yellowstone if the crowds aren't too bad. Both have beautiful scenery!

That's a lot of miles in two weeks. Enjoy!

Von Bickley
06-06-2009, 8:32 AM
John,

If you have any interest in firearms, the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY is a great place to visit........ :)

Greg Just
06-06-2009, 9:12 AM
John:

You're not on my path, but enjoy! Sounds like a great trip. We were in Yellowstone last summer and had a great time. My older brother Mike works at the front desk of the Old Faithful Inn. That's about the best I can offer. Have a wonderful time.

Bernie Weishapl
06-06-2009, 9:25 AM
You will be way north of me but sounds like a great trip. I agree with the Buffalo Bill Museum.

Brian Brown
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, thats quite the Itinerary! I could spend 2 weeks at any one of those places. Sounds like you'll pass right through my area (pm coming). Most local wood here is pine/fir. There is a lot of quaking aspen, quite often wormey. Also there is some juniper, but it sounds as if there is an effort to make cutting it illegal. As for the BBC Museum in Cody, The firearms part is great, but there is so much more. 5 museums in all, all worth seeing. If you are into ghost towns, Nevada City MT, and Bannock Mt are great places. Enjoy your trip.

Allen Neighbors
06-06-2009, 1:57 PM
John, I'm 267 miles NE of Carlsbad on US 62 East. Got plenty of wood to give you; Mulberry, Mesquite, Turkey-foot Pinion Pine, Russian Olive, Apricot, Peach, Walnut... should have some Bois d'Arc by then... I'm blessed with wood, if nothing else, take another day....

Dennis Ford
06-06-2009, 4:41 PM
John;
I am not far off the path between Carlsbad and New Orleans, that is too far for one day anyway.

Tom Lewis
06-06-2009, 4:50 PM
John, I live in Carlsbad and would be glad for you to stop by. I have Mesquite, and some other woods.
If you are into caving the Carlsbad Caverns has some great off trail trips, but you need to make reservations ahead of time. The trip to the "Hall of the Great White Giant" is awesome.
There is also the Bat Flight.
Also there is another cave in the Carlsbad National Park called "Slaughter Canyon Cave". In this cave you are guided by a park ranger and carry your own light.
The Carlsbad Caverns National Park web site has more details.
Let me know when you plan to be in Carlsbad and hopefully we can work something out.

David Christopher
06-06-2009, 7:20 PM
John, I live about 50 miles east of Mobile Al and you would be more than welcome here anytime

Bill Hunt
06-06-2009, 9:05 PM
John,
I'm about 85 miles north of Mobile AL. in Mississippi, 14 miles east of highway 45 and 2 miles off highway 84 at the AL/MS state line. I too can have you some wood.
Ya'll come on down.
Bill Hunt

Richard Madison
06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Lots of turners in and around Austin and San Antonio, Texas who would welcome a visit from persons from another country.

John Fricke
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Lots of turners in and around Austin and San Antonio, Texas who would welcome a visit from persons from another country.

LOL.....y'all havn't seceded from the union yet....but when you do may I be your first immigrant?

Richard Madison
06-07-2009, 1:14 AM
Am sure we can always make room for another turner.

Jarrod McGehee
06-07-2009, 3:27 AM
Richard, I might take you up on that offer too. Sounds like a great trip though John but you just aren't coming out west enough to make it into my neck of the woods. I hope you have an awesome trip though

Allen Neighbors
06-07-2009, 8:56 AM
The trip to the "Hall of the Great White Giant" is awesome.

Whoooa...... I had no idea they had named the walkway to my shop. :D
Sorry.. couldn't resist...:rolleyes::o;)

Thomas Canfield
06-07-2009, 10:33 PM
You won't be down in these parts, but I do want to encourage your to check out the Crazy Horse Monument near Mount Rushmore. I pointed it out to my kids back in '74 when we moved from Montana back to Oklahoma and said to take a good look since it would not be finished in my lifetime and possibly even in theirs. There has been dramatic progress, but it is still years away from finish and definitely something to see and be amazed and the persistence required. Turning a chunk of wood is nothing compared to carving a mountain.