PDA

View Full Version : jet 1642 set up

Joseph M Lary
06-05-2009, 9:40 PM
Need some help. I have my Jet Lathe set up now and got set up to turn a pc of mulberry green wood , the problem is that the lathe has no low torque do I have to adjust the vfd-s box on the back . it 2 hp 230volt . I can stop the lathe while turning with the bowl gouge and im not cutting that hard .:confused:

charlie knighton
06-05-2009, 9:59 PM
check your manual for belt positioning, there is a low and high torque belt positions, otherwize call for help

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Joseph - what speed range are you in? What speed are you cutting at? I wouldn't think you should ever have to mess with the VFD unit. If anything I would suspect that your belt tension is a little loose.

Joseph M Lary
06-05-2009, 10:10 PM
I was roughing out and started at about 150 100 rpm And kept going up as it got rounder 700 rpm . checked the belt tension 3 times took the belt loose and reset it tight. got mad and quit for the night. though I would ask you all if you had that problem before. got the book out for the VFD and looking it over now .

Don Orr
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Joe,

Have you checked the set screws on the pulleys ? Maybe they are a little loose. I can stall my 1642, but it's only 1.5 hp abd I can be a bit agressive.

Oh, you will not be able to change the programming on the VFD. It's locked out with a special code. Messing with it voids the warranty.

Jim Underwood
06-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Try the other belt setting. One of them doesn't have as much power at low speed. Don't remember which one... Thinking about it now though, if the motor has the big pulley and the spindle has the small pulley, you'll transmit more HP. Try that one.

I had the belt on mine actually slip on me last night. I checked and the adjustment was loose. After I tightened it, I had no more problems.

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
For more RPM and thus more torque, you want the motor pulley on the smallest setting and the spindle pulley on the larger one.

Jim Underwood
06-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Oops. I stand corrected.:o

That would be right of course. The smaller gear has the advantage of a lever or torque arm on the bigger gear's shaft doesn't it?

Mike Lipke
06-05-2009, 11:43 PM
If all is Kosher, you should have a real hard time stalling that lathe with the motor pulley on the small, the spindle on the large.
The motor will also run cooler.

Joseph M Lary
06-06-2009, 9:10 AM
Thanks for all the info Im going out after my coffee this morning , now that I have cooled off and do some more checking and try some turning.:)