PDA

View Full Version : Titebond Melamine Glue???

Jay Yoder
06-05-2009, 9:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with this glue? i have made many utillity cabinets and just used screws...will this stuff allow a strong butt joint to be made? I would still use the screws...i thought this would add strength...anyone?

Peter Pedisich
06-05-2009, 9:45 PM
Jay,

I would assume it's roughly equivalent strength-wise to Roo-Glue, another brand of melamine glue. This makes a strong bond between a raw flake edge and melamine face, in fact it will rip the melamine off the flake and take some chunks with it.

Pete

Jay Yoder
06-05-2009, 9:52 PM
Never heard of Roo Glue. I googled it and it looks similar. Who carries that? It appears to be online or distributor only...Wow, if that happens, i would guess there must be bigger problems at hand! Sounds like it is worth the "extra" step. My "local (1 hour away)" woodcraft has the Titebond in stock.

Jamie Buxton
06-05-2009, 10:04 PM
The other way to say what Peter said is that melamine-chipboard has so little strength that even a weak glue can rip it apart. I'd never rely on Roo glue and melamine for a structural bond. I'd relay on Confirmat screws. The Roo glue can help seal the cabinet's bottom panel to the sides and back, to reduce water infiltration into the chipboad. Water and chipboard is a very bad situation, so that seal helps.

Peter Pedisich
06-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I think I got it from Woodcraft online, or Woodworker's Supply online.
It will add strength, for sure.

David Kreuzberg
06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
I second Peter on the Roo Glue. I have built many a cabinet using melamine, Roo Glue and butt joints - no mechanical fasteners. Good stuff.

I assume TiteBond is the same formulation.

Just try to avoid getting it on your hands - it's a magnet for any imaginable dark colored crud and takes forever to wear off.

That's right....wear off!

kreuzie

Jay Yoder
06-05-2009, 10:28 PM
For $7/ 16oz, definately sounds like it is worth a try. I will still use the screws. here's a strange thought. What about a finish nailer? Will it shoot thru both layers of melamine? Hmmm...maybe i will test that tomorrow, unless someone else has tried it...

Peter Pedisich
06-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I guess I should clarify my message...
I have always used hi-lo screws along with the melamine glue.

Curt Harms
06-06-2009, 6:45 AM
Woodcraft used to carry it, they stopped when Titebond Melamine glue came out. Roo Glue is good stuff. I've used it wood-to-wood where I needed long open time. It'll also glue vinyl, metal, stone, fabric etc. I used it to glue T track into a dado and so far so good. It's hard to find in retail channels, they seem to concentrate on commercial users. I've checked a couple of their listed distributors and the distributors sell wholesale only. Western Tool carries the Roo Clear in 16 oz. sizes. I notice their web site lists Fastenal so that might be worth checking if you have one local.