PDA

View Full Version : MDF -vs- Dbl sided Melamine?

Jay Yoder
06-05-2009, 9:25 PM
I need to build some low cost framesless cabinets for the shop and i am debating MDF or the dbl sided melamine, or a combination of both. i have made quite a few utility cabinets out of the melamine and really liked it, but MDF is a bit cheaper and heavier per sheet. I like the melamine for the counter surface, but also I like the the machinablity of the MDF, especially for doors. Prob with MDF is that it will need edges sealed and then painted...any thoughts? Pics appreciated!

Bruce Wrenn
06-05-2009, 9:45 PM
Why not edge band the melamine for the doors? I find myself building more and more melamine boxes, with 1" face frames, set to the outside. This means Euro hardware works, but I get the look of face frame cabinets. I add an end panel at the ends of the runs, or where cabinet height changes.You can get MDF core melamine from most cabinet supply vendors, though the PB core is cheaper. For more info on this system, check out Danny Proulx's book, "Making Your Own Kitchen Cabinets."

Myk Rian
06-05-2009, 9:50 PM
Water down some glue and paint it on the edges of the MDF. Then paint it.

Jay Yoder
06-05-2009, 9:56 PM
Bruce,
Typically that is what i have done. The utility cabinets just have the iron on edge banding. It is quick and easy to work with. I typically get it at the local BORG in white for about $32/sheet...I was toying with the idea of routing a profile inboard of the doors to "break up the monotony" of the flat doors. But I should remember that it is just for the shop...

Myk,
I had heard of a 50/50 mixture of glue/water to seal the edges and get them ready for painting. What/how do you do it?