PDA

View Full Version : Router table help

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-19-2004, 7:12 AM
I've built a couple router tables in the past...never exactly what I wanted (is anything ever?!). This time around I bought the Jointech metal table base(s) and top(s) because I just wanted to get up and going. So now I need to do something for storage in the tables, 'cause I got all the cool accessories, too. I'm thinking of building a simple drawer stack to just sit on the bottom rails of the table frame. Anybody got any other experience building 'around' an exisiting frame? Fancy not required...

KC

Kelly C. Hanna
08-19-2004, 8:20 AM
I had an open rolling cart that I enclosed for mine. Nothing fancy for sure, but I clad it with birch ply and hung two doors on it to enclose it fully. Future plans include inside drawers.

Jim Becker
08-19-2004, 9:28 AM
It should be possible to fit an enclosure into the leg sets that provides both storage and dust collection. Dizzy did essentially that with his handy-dandy welded frame a couple years ago. (I don't have the URL handy, but it's on the 'net) Think about it as if it were a frame and panel design in wood...the difference is that the corners are metal and the panels need to fit between them as appropriate to your needs.

Hal Flynt
08-19-2004, 5:04 PM
I built the Jointech Router Center and like it a lot. To be truthful, I never got around to finishing all the drawers, but "mean to".

With the metal legs, is there room to fit an MDF box cabinet in there?

Experience? H'mm questionable. I put a 3/4" piece of B/C plywood down on my PM66 Mobile Base and still designing a Box Cabinet/Shelf array to sit on it. I want room for my sleds on the left and Sawbaldes/dados etc in shelf/drawers to the right and a flat surface with about 4-6" clearance on top for that "other stuff" that doesn't fit the space provided for it. But I think it's easier to fit a base around the legs etc. then build a box to sit on it.

Can you add casters?