PDA

View Full Version : D-Day Remberance

Ed Sallee
06-05-2009, 7:12 PM
I wonder what the boys were thinking on the eve of making history, 65 years ago....

God Bless our Soldiers...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/D-Day.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-05-2009, 7:54 PM
I look at the US Graveyards in France and it can bring tears.
Our brave young men and women gave everything for the world and asked so little.

Tony Zaffuto
06-05-2009, 8:36 PM
It is hard to fathom what our soldiers did and how they faced it. Many returned and never spoke of the horrors they endured. All upon return put their efforts into building a United States that will probably never be equaled again.

We all should be forever grateful for what they did.

T.Z.

Paul Ryan
06-05-2009, 8:37 PM
It is hard to fathom what our soldiers did and how they faced it. Many returned and never spoke of the horrors they endured. All upon return put their efforts into building a United States that will probably never be equaled again.

T.Z.

I couldn't agree with Tony any more. There is a reason they are called the greatest generation.

Chuck Wintle
06-06-2009, 9:45 AM
I can only imagine how these soldiers felt as their landing craft approached the beach and the ramp dropped. The knowledge that one may be shot to bits at any second must have been grim.

I wonder if the same sense of self-sacrifice still exists today?

Bob Rufener
06-06-2009, 10:05 AM
My sister and brother-in-law were there earlier this week. I'm anxious to talk to them about their feelings and observations. Our family lost a cousin in the Battle of the Bulge. I never met him as I was an infant at the time. Most families lost someone or many. I visited several grave sites (including Patton's gravesite in Luxembourg) in Europe when I was working in Germany for a year. Quite a touching experience.

Dennis Peacock
06-06-2009, 10:39 AM

T.Z.

I agree.!!!!! Let us never forget them.

Dennis - Patriot Guard Rider

Steve Rozmiarek
06-06-2009, 11:36 AM
The "Greatest Generation" is very accurate. I'm glad to have been around D-day vets my whole life, and to have had the great honor to have had those fine people influence my life. That determination that carried the day on D-day continued on to every aspect of the rest of their lives. What a great set of role models.

Does this quote irritate anyone else, "improbability of this victory' is what makes D-Day so memorable"? That from our joke of a president. These guys didn't go into that battle assuming to loose. They never assumed that they would loose anything! That unfaltering determination is part of what makes them great! What an insult.

Sorry to get political, I need to go put the flag up now that it has stopped raining, so enough of that.

Keith Outten
06-06-2009, 12:44 PM
There are several days throughout each year that give us opportunities to show our respect for those who have served. From the Revolutionary War to the present War in the Middle East every Service Member who has stepped up to protect and defend deserves the respect and admiration of the American people and whatever financial support it takes to take care of them if they were wounded.

With age I have become more aware of the real price of freedom and I notice the license plates and their particular insignias as I travel around my local area. I try to give these very special people a little extra space on the road, I doubt they notice but they deserve something other than an IOU for a debt that we can never repay.

I have also gotten into the habit of keeping Freedom Pens with me and when I can catch these people in parking lots or inside stores I offer them a pen. Its the thank you that really touches their hearts and the idea that someone remembers how much they sacrificed, the pen is just a simple gift that will remind them of a chance meeting with someone who remembers.

We lost the last World War 2 veteran in our family last year, my Dad was 87 years old and proud to have served in two wars and I miss him every day. Jackie's Dad passed away many years ago, he was a prisoner of war in WWII when he served in Germany. There are so few of these Patriots left now, cherish the time you can share with them if you are so lucky. And don't forget those are standing watch today, these are our very best who have also volunteered to sacrifice and to serve their friends and family.

Judy Kingery
06-06-2009, 1:33 PM
Amen to the comments shared; from Revolutionary times to the present day service member. I, too, am fortunate to have known quite a few gentlemen from my Dad's outfit (Marines/Pacific theater). Dad was wounded on Guam; they and the women who kept the home fires burning, were indeed The Greatest Generation. Thanks for remembering.

Jude

Don Carter
06-06-2009, 5:38 PM
My father-in-law was a nineteen year old Sargent on D Day. He survived and went on to fight in the Battle of the Bulge and was wounded in Belgium. He never spoke of his experiences until his grandson interviewed him about his memories of the war. That grandson is now my nineteen year old son.

We have audio of his interview and we listen to it on occasions such as this. We have all pledged that we will return to Europe to visit all the places that he mentions in his interview. I wish we were there today.

We will never forget what this wonderful man went through and many of his Band of Brothers who never came home.

May God Bless each and every one of our military personnel and their families for the sacrifices that they willing give.