PDA

View Full Version : Bricks

Paul Franklin
06-05-2009, 6:14 PM
Hi I have read all the posts regarding laser engraving bricks or Clay pavers and was wondering if anyone came up with a definitive answer on how to do it?
Also pictures of finished bricks would be nice.

Cheers

Paul

Mike Null
06-05-2009, 6:16 PM
Sandblasting.

Steve Clarkson
06-05-2009, 7:35 PM
Mike,

I don't know anything about sandblasting.

But of all the sandblasted bricks I have seen in my area......they're all text only. Now is that more a function of the seller not really knowing how (or not willing to spend the time) to make a resist mask that has pictures and logos?

I've engraved a few cement bricks, and it's not too slow, but someone mentioned that they may not last forever, or atleast as long as, a clay brick. Do you know if that's true?

Paul Franklin
06-05-2009, 7:50 PM
I would prefer to do the Clay pavers.
But what about Terracotta? Has anyone engraved these?

Cheers

Paul

Mike Null
06-05-2009, 8:38 PM
So you really didn't want a definitive answer.:confused:

Paul Franklin
06-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Mike

Yes I do, but don't seem to be getting one. :rolleyes:

So you really didn't want a definitive answer.:confused:

Steve Clarkson
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Paul, I guess I'm not sure what you are asking? A definitive answer about what? About "Can it be done".....well, that answer is yes. Is it the BEST method? Like I mentioned in my previous post, I haven't seen any sandblasted bricks around here that have anything other than text.....and I have done a few with pictures and logos.....so personally, I like mine better. Sandblasting is definitely faster and deeper. But I'm not so sure that's good enough.

Paul Franklin
06-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Steve

I would love to know how exactly you did it and would it be great to see some pictures.

Thanks

Paul

Steve Clarkson
06-05-2009, 11:40 PM
It was just your basic raster engraving......nothing special. I think my settings were like 100P and 10S or 20S.

Here are two close up pics of logos that I did on 12x12 cement pavers.

James Stokes
06-06-2009, 12:01 AM
There are half a dozen different posts on brick engraving, It comes up about every 6 months. Go back and read more there are plenty of pictures and details on brick engraving.

Paul Franklin
06-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Been there done that, no one gave a good explanation, like Steve did.

Steve,

No black finish?
If anyone would like to add more was of doing it, that would be great.
Thanks
Paul

Martin Boekers
06-06-2009, 12:52 AM
What is your use?

Outside, inside?

Concrete bricks are slow to engrave and I don't believe they will hold up to weather, definately not on a walkway.

Clay pavers seem to be the choice as at high temp. it "vitralizes" the surface
turns to glass like.

It's a limited market with a handful of players.

LaserSketch sells granite "bricks" that might be a better solution.

we need more info then tossing out a question about it.

This forum has been around for quite a few years and if researching gives you a "been there done that" maybe the answers are not what you hoped to find.

Check out the US patent office for patents as there are patents that exist for engraving bricks. That has been covered in the forum. The patents wil go into deeper detail on how the process works.

Typically its a higher powered lazer not the run of the mill CO2's

Scott Shepherd
06-06-2009, 9:05 AM
Mike

Yes I do, but don't seem to be getting one. :rolleyes:

Sure you did.

Sandblasting.

Bill Cunningham
06-06-2009, 9:10 PM
A customer sent me a sample red clay brick they were using to build their actual theatre, and asked if I could engrave it.. they wanted their logo, and the theatre name to give to special donors.. I gave it a shot, and got results the sames as Steve's, that rastered areas turned a whitish colour. I had no idea if the mark would last, and I expressed these concerns to my customer who went with something else, and I just tossed the sample into a junk pile.. It sat out side for 2-3 years, and the last time I looked at it, the logo and text were still the same white colour, and had not degraded a single bit.. Sooo it would seem that the common raster on red clay bricks is long lasting and maybe saleable (not sailable, cuz they float like a brick:D)

Frank Corker
06-07-2009, 6:00 AM
Engraving bricks with a laser is akin to scratching a paving slab with a penknife. You will get a mark, but it won't be worth a carrot. Mike Null is correct, sandblasting will give you a carved edge into the stone that will be permanent and visible. A laser will give you a mark that looks impressive until 3/4 months later when it begins to weather, it will fade, grow moss on it and become virtually invisible. Use the correct tool for the job, if you want it marking forever, then use a sandblasting or one of those fancy water cutting machines.

laura passek
08-10-2009, 4:17 AM
I have not used it yet but cermark makes a black tape that when you laser it it reacts and leaves a permanent black etching. Laserbits sells it I think.

Mike Null
08-10-2009, 6:23 AM
Laura

Welcome to SMC.

That tape and the liquid are for marking metals.

They do make a chemical for marking glass but it's not likely that it will work on clay.

Dan Hintz
08-10-2009, 7:07 AM

Paul Franklin
08-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Cermark, sent out an email a few weeks back about the tape to use on Clay Bricks, I have not tried it yet.

Just an FYI

Paul

Brian Robison
08-12-2009, 9:09 AM
Mike, I did a test probably 2 years ago with the Thermark for ceramics and it did fine. I've had it outside since I marked it.

Mike Null
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I used the glass stuff several years ago but did not have need to try it on clay bricks. I have no doubt it'll work on ceramic though.

Brian Robison
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
This was on a brick. I'll try to remember to take a picture of it.