PDA

View Full Version : African Blackwood...Ever Turn It?...

Wally Dickerman
06-05-2009, 5:50 PM
I've been turning some African blackwood. It has to be the hardest, most dense wood that I've ever turned. I've turned a fair amount of Lignum V. and verawood, and lots of ebony. All very hard and dense but this blackwood has 'em beat. With sharp tools and a a good cut I can get a near mirror surface right off the tool.

Like ebony, I get some shavings but mostly dust. I look like I've been working in a coal mine.

Some of the real dense woods don't float in water. I put a piece of blackwood in water. Sank like a rock.

Anybody else ever experience this stuff?

Wally

curtis rosche
06-05-2009, 6:10 PM
nope, send it to me!

Judy Kingery
06-05-2009, 6:22 PM
Wally,

Yes, indeed, limited as I only had about 5 blocks of it, but I love the stuff! I think you're spot on, cuts to a mirror finish with sharp tools for sure. I've used it for throw tops and like both the heft and of course finish.

What're you making of it? Love to see a picture!

Jude

Wally Dickerman
06-05-2009, 6:27 PM
Wally,

Yes, indeed, limited as I only had about 5 blocks of it, but I love the stuff! I think you're spot on, cuts to a mirror finish with sharp tools for sure. I've used it for throw tops and like both the heft and of course finish.

What're you making of it? Love to see a picture!

Jude

Hey Jude...I'm using it for finials and just finished a tall pedestal for a pierced bowl. I'll probably post it on WoW and perhaps here.

Wally

Judy Kingery
06-05-2009, 6:58 PM
Wally,

Perfect use, I'd think, too, finials! Sure thing, I'll watch for a pic!!!

Thanks, Wally,

Jude

Jim Burr
06-08-2009, 8:34 PM
Wally, I made a few rollerball pens out of the stuff. After knocking off the corners, I go right to the skew that you could shave with. I use the new Nova sharping centre, but any one of them are great. 12,000 mesh and 0000 steelwool and I think you'll be happy.