PDA

View Full Version : 1642 setup

John W Dixon
06-05-2009, 5:37 PM
Well as promised here are a few pics of the lathe setup. Finally got the subpanel installed and all the proper outlets in and the lathe put together. I ran a 240 volt 20 amp dedicated circuit for the lathe and installed a twistloc plug and outlet.

This booger is pretty heavy to hoss around by yourself but I got it all done and leveled. Leveling was a real treat by myself. There is probably an easier way than how I did it but it worked out ok.http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

Overall I'm very pleased with fit and finish of the 1642. There were a few scuffs in the paint finish but nothing I'm too overly concerned about. It's a tool right? Used mineral spirits to wipe down all the coated surfaces and then followed that up with a paste wax and buffed it back out. The head and tailstock lined up perfectly and spun true to one another. The only thing was in my haste to remove the faceplate I neglected to notice two threaded inserts that helped to lock it down. This may be common on all faceplates but I've never owned a lathe with a faceplate so I put in the bar and started trying to crank it off. I thought something was up because it just wouldn't come off. That's when I saw the screws. Removed them and the faceplate turned right off. But I damaged the area on the spindle behind the threads and the very last bit of the thread itself.http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/images/smilies/furious.gifhttp://www.woodworkingtalk.com/images/smilies/furious.gif I don't have a chuck for this yet so I can't tell if it will be an issue or not. I sure hope not.

The variable speed is incredibly smooth and a real pleasure to operate. I think I will greatly appreciate this feature. Only thing left now is to get to turning. Thanks for looking.

John

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2009, 5:47 PM
John - congrats on getting your new lathe all set up! You will love it! I had the exact same experience with the faceplate that you did - even marred the spindle. No big deal - doesn't make any difference when using a chuck! Enjoy!

John W Dixon
06-05-2009, 5:55 PM
Thanks for the reply Steve and good to hear I'm not the only one. Also great to hear that there shouldn't be any ill effects from the marring. What's your thoughts on the guard on the top? Did you leave it in place or just remove it?

Thanks,
John

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2009, 6:13 PM
John - I do not use the guard - it gets in the way when hollowing. I have used it on a couple of big rough outs - just to be on the safe side - but usually have it off the lathe.

alex carey
06-05-2009, 6:21 PM
Congrats on the lathe, I too had a little trouble getting my faceplate off, put a small scratch in the spindle but it never made any difference, chances are yours won't either.

Tony Kahn
06-05-2009, 8:22 PM
Count me in on the faceplate set screw oops, you can take the edge of a file and knock the edge of the groove off, other than that all that should is for is to screw the set screw against later, so it's not like it is gonna stay perty forever. As far as the gaurd it has saved me more than one headache, but i turn alot of crotches and sometimes if i miss an inclusion they like to come apart at high speed.

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2009, 9:56 PM
Congrats John on the new lathe and getting it setup. Now get it dirty as it is wayyyyy to clean.

Joseph M Lary
06-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I did the same thing with the face plate.:D touched it up with a file

Jim Underwood
06-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Chalk up one more on the faceplate screw mishap... :o
I didn't hit the threads before I noticed something not quite right though.
Cleaned it up with a small file. Unlike you, my centers don't quite line up.:(

Congrats on the new setup. Like that slatwall paneling, handy! Looks too clean though. Now get some chips all over that shop....:D

Chris Stolicky
06-06-2009, 7:49 AM
And yet another one for the set screw goof up (Me too!). Hum, you would think that if this many of us screw it up, something could be done about it?

The lathe looks really naked in the first pic! I also set the whole thing up my self. It is pretty friggin' heavy.

Good luck with it. I'll have to take my camera out to the shop one of these days so I can post pics....

cliff smith
06-06-2009, 8:10 AM
i recently bought the 1642evs 2 man i love it smmooth and sweet glad to see i wasnt the only one who missed the screws in the faceplate almost got the threads too.

Jim Kountz
06-06-2009, 8:35 AM
Nice setup but way too clean, get some shavings going already!!

RL Johnson
06-06-2009, 8:49 AM
Put the drive center in and the live center and bring them together to see if the points are in alignment. If not then you will need to move your leg adjustment leveling screws to bring the points into alignment while maintaining level of the bed. I was surprized at how much cast iron can move and not be vary obvious. Best of luck.

Richard Madison
06-07-2009, 12:08 AM
My "guard" and "tool tray" are still wrapped in the original bubble wrap, on a shelf somewhere. Could probably find them if needed.

John W Dixon
06-07-2009, 6:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! And for making me feel like not so much of goof for trying to shear the end of my spindle off with my faceplate!:rolleyes: It does sound like maybe Jet should just send the faceplate in a box rather than attached to the headstock. It would eliminate alot of workshop cursing from the sounds of it.

John

Harvey Schneider
06-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Adjusting the leveling feet will flex the bed enough to change the alignment.

Ryan Baker
06-08-2009, 8:45 PM
Haha. Yup, those face plate set screws got me too. Jet should definitely ship the plate in a box instead of on the spindle ... or at least don't tighten the screws. No harm done though.

Looks a little too close to the wall, but have fun making shavings!

derek robinson
06-08-2009, 9:23 PM
now I don't feel so bad when we got our 1642 last week dad called me and said he could not get the faceplate off of course I thought he was doing something wrong so when I got there I cranked on it ....nogo... oh wait what are those set screws for :eek: so now we have a few messed up threads but it still works fine