PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw X4 File Recovery

George M. Perzel
06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi gang;
According to Corel help, it is possible to recover a backup file "when retarting X4" by responding to the " file recovery" dialogue. Does anybody know how to do this as I have searched in vain for anything related? Thanks
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
06-06-2009, 8:42 PM
A couple of times after x4 went funny and I re-loaded it, it told me there was a save backup file, and do I want to load that one? Sometimes it saves your butt.. But I have had other coreldraw crashes that have not saved anything. I have mine set to auto backup every 20 min (I guess this is the one it loads on restart, 'if' you were using it long enough to create a autobackup). and when I save the working file. When corel crashes, it's usually when I'm doing some tiny fiddly little stuff with character, line, or node placement or something like that. Now when I'm doing that stuff, I hit cntrl S (save the file) every so often just in case. That way I don't have to start all over again.

Scott Erwin
06-09-2009, 2:52 PM
Bill,
You sound like me...I found that my Corel has an undocumented feature built in....It is a sensor built into it that says one step before the auto-save = crash....Now when I make some fine tweeks, I CTL+S everytime...saved my tail more than once !!

George M. Perzel
06-09-2009, 5:13 PM
Scott/Bill;
Thanks for the input. I am totally confused because the Corel Help has a section on File Recovery and talks about the "File Recovery" dialogue-damned if I can find it. I know about the auto backup, etc, but am trying to find out how to recover the backup files which are supposedly backed up every 10 minutes (per my setting) and saved on my separate harddrive (per my setting). I know where they are but can't open them.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
06-09-2009, 9:33 PM
I'm convinced that X4 crashes sometimes 'because' it's trying to do a backup.. Did it again on me today twice at exactly the same point (the second time I had already hit save a dozen times to recover in case it crashed again) It seems to crash mostly when doing forms layouts (I do printing as well) I will scan in a sample form, then use it as a template to recreate it. I do all the lines, and all the text, and each time it crashed it was on the same piece of text. Each time it happened when I was about 20 min. into the job, (20 min. is where i have the autobackup time set) and changing the characteristics of a Switz. cond. font from plain to italic. Once I clicked italic it froze (both times), and I got the 'coreldraw' is not responding message at the top.. I felt like calling Corel, and reaming someone out :mad::mad::mad::mad: I get the popup asking if I want to tell 'Microsoft' about the problem, I just wish I would get one from Corel Offering the same choice!!