PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base?

Mike Lamberth
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I ordered a Grizzly G7315 - Super Heavy-Duty Mobile Base the other day. I checked the box for no back order. I got a note from them yesterday. It is out of stock and not expected until Sept. I need a good mobile base for a table saw before then. Please offer some ideas or advice. I am open to suggestions. Thanks

Matt Tawes
06-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I have the the welded (made for each machine) HTC mobile bases on my TS, bandsaw and jointer and they're the best there is in my opinion.
http://www.htcproductsinc.com/ I ordered all mine through Amazon years ago.

Mike Lamberth
06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Matt. Does anyone have any experience with the Shop Fox D2057?

Barry Rowland
06-05-2009, 1:15 PM
I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Universal-Mobile-Base/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1244221969&sr=8-1

I have one on a Grizz GX055-BS, Delta 16" DP, Delta 18"
Drum sander.

Paul Ryan
06-05-2009, 1:26 PM
I suggest make yourself one. The mobile bases from grizzly are junk and I have not been happy with a purchased unit. Check out this thread Jason made a beauty, hopefully I am not infriging on his patent. If you make one it will be better than just about anything else. Other wise see if the SS industrial base will fit on that saw, and buy that one. They are $300 but are the best mobile bases i have ever seen.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109382

Rod Sheridan
06-05-2009, 1:35 PM
I suggest make yourself one. The mobile bases from grizzly are junk and I have not been happy with a purchased unit. Check out this thread Jason made a beauty, hopefully I am not infriging on his patent. If you make one it will be better than just about anything else. Other wise see if the SS industrial base will fit on that saw, and buy that one. They are $300 but are the best mobile bases i have ever seen.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109382

Jason's mobile base is very nice, however as Jason indicated he's 6'5" tall, so about a foot taller than me.

I'd need a stool to use the saw:D

I always make welded bases for my machines with high quality casters, and only raise the machine about 1/4 to 1/2" above the floor.

Others have suggested HTC welded bases, which is probably what I would use if I didn't custom make them.

Regards, Rod.

Jason White
06-05-2009, 4:13 PM
Mine is up pretty high. The angled-steel brackets could be lowered an inch or two though, keeping the saw closer to the ground. Or make your own angled-steel with flat stock from the home center and drop it down even more.

I wouldn't use wheels smaller than 4", however. The saw weighs 500-600 lbs.

Jason

Jason's mobile base is very nice, however as Jason indicated he's 6'5" tall, so about a foot taller than me.

I'd need a stool to use the saw:D

I always make welded bases for my machines with high quality casters, and only raise the machine about 1/4 to 1/2" above the floor.

Others have suggested HTC welded bases, which is probably what I would use if I didn't custom make them.

Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
06-05-2009, 5:57 PM
I prefer all-metal stands, but could never justify HTC prices for my bargain machines. If you can stick-weld, have a 4" side grinder, and a metal-cutting chopsaw or bandsaw, you can easily make your own. If you do not weld, maybe its time to LEARN! Stick-welding mild steel is E-Z!

I scrounged all my metal from a junk yard! 5/8" x 2" channel was used instead of HTC's 1"x2" tubing. The "bridge" over the swivel caster is 12ga. steel strap that was bent and a couple of welding beads run underneath to reinforce the bends. The fixed wheels are held in a piece of 2x4" channel (overkill but cheap) with the 3/8" axle bolt thru a piece of 1/8" x 1" strap stock. In the early '90s I scrounged enough metal to make FIVE of these stands for various machines for $20! The 3" casters, nuts and bolts were all new.

Pix are of one of the five, for a Delta 14" bandsaw with open stand. You can do it TOO!

Steve Rozmiarek
06-05-2009, 6:23 PM
My $.02, do not buy those Delta three wheel universal things. They work ok for super flat floors and light machines, but change either of those, and what a pain.

I've been very impressed by the set of Great Lakes casters that I put on my lathe, and I think that the next mobile base that I build will have them. I'm 6'5" ish too though, so I'll probably just attach the casters to the machines and enjoy the extra height.

glenn bradley
06-05-2009, 6:47 PM
Thanks Matt. Does anyone have any experience with the Shop Fox D2057?

I have the SF on my G0513X. Came with the saw and I wouldn't buy one. The screw-down feet are held in place with magnets that often fail while underway causing problems. Even though the BS is way under the rated weight I had to add supporting structure to minimize the flex.

I have the HTC universal under my DP. Again, a poor unit for the price though the dedicated (welded) HTC products seem to be real nice. Neither the SF or the HTC Uni are any better than the $30 ones that Rockler and Woodcraft sell. Oh . . . I just looked, guess the price on those have gone up. Seems most folks that are happy with their bases have made them. The best one I have came built into my jointer.

Chip Lindley
06-05-2009, 9:30 PM
Super Flat Floors? I knew one guy who had his shop in an out-building with a gravel floor. No $$$ for concrete! He put his machines on *skids* to slide them when needed!!

But, this *Bigger-Heavier-HoMade* stand has 1" clearance which works fine to roll this Griz Sander out my garage door over a 3/4" drop, onto the driveway. This one has 3" dia. X 2" wide rear wheels. Although the swivel caster is not lockable, the weight of the Griz keeps the machine in place when in use. The heavier frame is some used 1" x 3" stamped channel, same 2" x 4" channel for the rear wheel supports, but a piece of huge 1/2" thick angle to support the swivel caster.

I guess I could build em as big and heavy as needed. Some machines have no ready way to *just attach* casters to their corners. You are lucky if you do! Saves lifting the machine to set it inside a mobile base like this one, unless you have an overhead hoist!

Ben West
06-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I have Shop Fox and HTC bases. The Shop Fox is marginal; the HTC is pretty good.

But, as I'm nearing the finish of a restoration of a Powermatic 81 bandsaw (yes, this is a preview of a future post!), I needed something else. The PM 81 is big, heavy, and has an irregular footprint. I couldn't find a commercial base I thought would work.

So, I made one. Having now made a mobile base, I'll probably never buy one again. For one, it was way cheaper. Second, with those big 4" urethane casters, it glides across the floor. Much better than any commercial base I've tried. Third, I'm a woodworker dang it, and wood is good!

Byron Trantham
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I have an eclectic group of mobile bases. Some I made and the others are Delta units. I bought Grizzly 18" opened ended drum sander and it weighs about 350 lbs. I bought one of those "add 2x2s" and stir" bases. The puppy won't come close to handling the weight. I did some research and found out the Delta's mobile base for their 8" jointer was perfect (in size) for my sander. I ordered one and it worked great; stable and easy to move. Nothing welded steel for weight.