PDA

View Full Version : Wing or no wing?

Jason White
06-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I'd like to build a router table and install it on the right side of my cabinet saw.

My question is -- what do most of you guys do about the existing cast-iron wing on that side? Is it better to leave it on and attach the router table to the wing? Or should I remove the wing, make the router table a little bigger, and then bolt the shop-made router table directly to the saw table?

Please reply with pictures of your setup if you have some.

Thanks!

Jason

Vince Shriver
06-05-2009, 10:41 AM
1. Would the router interfere with the hand crank for the blade tilt?

2. If you are going to use the TS rip fence for router operations, would it extend the distance you need?

Jason White
06-05-2009, 4:55 PM
1. Would the router interfere with the hand crank for the blade tilt?

No

2. If you are going to use the TS rip fence for router operations, would it extend the distance you need?

Yes.

Matt Armstrong
06-05-2009, 7:09 PM
My preference is for more cast iron (so I am keeping my wing) but building a router table that's 27x36 long

Kyle Iwamoto
06-05-2009, 7:51 PM
What cabinet saw? Quite a few now have wood for wing extensions. I'd put my router there. If you have a giant space there, build a box frame. I would most definetely NOT get rid of a cast wing to mount a router. Buy or build a router table. More mass = more stability.

glenn bradley
06-05-2009, 8:19 PM
I left the wing on. Why give up work surface?

Tony Zaffuto
06-05-2009, 8:30 PM
I have a Grizzly 1023 with a Vega fence w/long rails. I left the right wing on and added a home-made router table to it's right side. I did have to add legs since you can unbalance the saw a tad by pushing heavily on the router table.

Works very well. Used a Freud router, with a Roussea plate and fence (got a very good price) although I could have used the Vega fence if I added a face to it. The Rousseau fence has very good dust collection to.

T.Z.

Jason White
06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I should have stated that it's a Grizzly left-tilt and my Biesemeyer fence allows for 30" to the right of the blade.

Jason

What cabinet saw? Quite a few now have wood for wing extensions. I'd put my router there. If you have a giant space there, build a box frame. I would most definetely NOT get rid of a cast wing to mount a router. Buy or build a router table. More mass = more stability.

Jason White
06-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't be giving up any work surface. I was thinking of replacing the wing with the router table. In fact, I'd have more work surface.

Jason

I left the wing on. Why give up work surface?

Chip Lindley
06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
The Biesemeyer fence support-angles (I hope you have a rear one also) are bolted to the CI saw table AND the CI wings. You would be giving up some rigidity to replace the CI wing with a PB/MDF/PLY router table. IMO, CI is preferred to these any day!

You could extend your router table far beyond the end of the fence rails, but the considerable weight of a 3-1/4" HP router may cause you to add legs to support the overhang.

Live within the limits of your saw fence as much as possible. A router table extension need not be Huge to be very functional. Considering the off-balance issue, sometimes more is not better.