PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Plow Plane Comments

Barry Rowland
06-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I have always wanted to get one of these and finally got some extra mad money to get it. I knew if I did not like it Rob would take it back, no questions asked. So I had nothing to lose.

I bought this with the 5 blade package, as the price of the blades purchase separately would have been more. I comes with a 1/4 blade out of the box.

I wanted to see how well this blade cut out of the box and I did really well!
But like most, I wanted to put my honing and polishing schedule on all the blades to get them as sharp as I could get them.

So I lapped, polished the backs of all the blades as they were already flat out of the box. But I like to go through this for all my blades. Then off to the T-7 for honing and polishing the blades. I did not use micro bevels on these to see how well they cut without it. I know there are different views on to micro bevel or not but I won't go there now. It's just how I did it.

When I had everything razor sharp I started cutting grooves on some poplar I had laying around. I went through all the blades just for fun!:)

At first I was having to really get behind the plow with my weight, and was thinking...shouldn't this be easier to push??? Then I thought, duh:o you didn't put any wax on it! I always use paraffin wax on my planes that I get in big cake form from Michael's arts and crafts. Once I rubbed some wax on the fence side and the runner that the blade rides on, it ran very smooth and was easy to push.

After going through 4 of the blade sizes I ran out of reach for the final blade using the stock guide rods, and was going to turn the wood around and cut the last groove with the 5/16 blade from the other side.

Then I thought to myself, hey I bought the extender bars for their Rabbit Skew Plane a while back, I wonder if they would fit this plane and give me even more reach! Well guess what? I don't know if it was intentional or not but the longer bars fit the threads on the Plow Plane's fence and fit perfectly into the locking collets on the main body of the plane.

Sweet!:p

Here are some pics of the results:

Using the 1/8 blade, my wife thought the little curlies looked cute, I think thats a violation of man code number 17....

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9857/lvpp5.jpg

Here are the results using a 5/16 blade, the largest of the set:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8879/lvpp4.jpg

Here is the groove results. I found that locating the cut for the grooves was quite easy and was able to space them out in a uniform manner. The first groove looks a little tilted but that was my first and the edge of the board where the fence registered was not square. The rest of them where pretty good. You can also see the longer guide rods on the plane.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5182/lvpp2.jpg

Here is another shot with a better view of the longer guied rods installed and if you look closely you can see a test mark using the 5/16 blade, about 1 1/2 inches to the right of the last 5/16 groove. A full 4 inches from the edge of the board to the right edge of the blade mark.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6161/lvpp3.jpg

And finally a shot with both the stock and exstended guide rods installed for a better comparison of the reach difference. I measured the full reach at 4 inches from the edge of the board with a 5/16 blade installed:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/999/lvpp6.jpg

One more for the heck of it!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3900/lvpp7.jpg

Lee Valley did a good job with this plane and I should have bought it earlier. It is a pleasure to use and the added reach achieved using the Skew Plane exstension guide rods is iceing on the cake! They should list these rods on the Small Plow Plane page. I know there are faster ways to cut grooves and I use them also, but that's not what this forum is all about!

Sorry this post went a little long!:rolleyes:

Sean Hughto
06-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Great post. Thanks.

I recommend adding a wood auxilary fence using those screw holes. A little wax on a nice piece of cherry, maple (or even better, teak) and I think you'll find it even easier to push and nicer to use. I have both my 248 and 043 set up like this and really do think it makes a difference.

Ben Davis
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Great post. Thanks.

I recommend adding a wood auxilary fence using those screw holes. A little wax on a nice piece of cherry, maple (or even better, teak) and I think you'll find it even easier to push and nicer to use. I have both my 248 and 043 set up like this and really do think it makes a difference.
Sean,

I don't want to get too far off topic here. Do you think that an aux fence made from ipe would be good choice? I'm thinking naturally oily hardwoods.

Doc

Sean Hughto
06-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I haven't ever had the pleasure of using ipe. But I mentioned teak because of its waxy/oily - ness. Lignum vitae and cocobolo (rosewood) are equally good as far as having the natural lubrication and relative hardness. Then again, I have a piece of cherry with a few swipes of candle/canning/bee wax on my 248 and it's not like I wish for an exotic. In short, use whatever is in the scrap box that looks like it will fit the bill.

Bill Houghton
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Barry,

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious (that is, you know already), but did you start your grooves by making a short stroke at the far end, then a slightly longer stroke a step back, etc., until you had established the full groove before planing full length?

I don't understand the physics, but this seems not just to get the groove established well, reducing oopsies, but to reduce planing effort in the full groove as well - at least for me.

Ben Davis
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Bill,

It seems that the shorter strokes at the beginning of the groove making process sets a registration for the plane as it travles.

Doc

David Myers
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the post and thorough review; you're making it hard for me not to prime the Canadian economy.

One question though: How awkward (if at all) do you think this tool would be to use for a lefthander? Any of you lefties out there used this plane?

Erik Manchester
06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
The LV Plow Plane looks interesting and I would love to give one a try when I get the chance, however I acquired a Stanley 46 a few years ago and set of new O1 blades (from James Bay) that I am very pleased with. I am envious of the fine blade adjustment feature that LV provides with their plows, as that is the only detractor with the Stanley 46 I currently use. The ability of the 46 to cut accurate dados in wide stock has been most helpful. The LV skew plows are sweet though :-)

Erik

Chuck Nickerson
06-05-2009, 1:00 PM
David Myers - LV now offers a left-handed plow plane, at the same price. Now that's customer service.

Chuck

Barry Rowland
06-05-2009, 1:06 PM
Great post. Thanks.

Sean, the fence surface on this plane is very flat and smooth. Once I had a little wax rubbed on it. It became smooth and almost effortless. But I do have some hard maple laying around that I will try and see what the differences are.

Barry,

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious (that is, you know already), but did you start your grooves by making a short stroke at the far end, then a slightly longer stroke a step back, etc., until you had established the full groove before planing full length?

I don't understand the physics, but this seems not just to get the groove established well, reducing oopsies, but to reduce planing effort in the full groove as well - at least for me. Bill, I did not start with short strokes to begin the cut. With the blade set to take about 4-5 thou, it was very smooth on the first stroke all the way to the end with no oopsies for me. This may be a tribute to the plane. But I will try this technique and see if it works better. I'm still kinda new to using planes and will try any and all ways to take a cut with one.

Thanks for the post and thorough review; you're making it hard for me not to prime the Canadian economy.

One question though: How awkward (if at all) do you think this tool would be to use for a lefthander? Any of you lefties out there used this plane?David, they actually have a left handed model of this plane on their site.
Although I have read here that some leftys prefer the right hand versions of different types of planes.

Bill Houghton
06-05-2009, 1:36 PM
One question though: How awkward (if at all) do you think this tool would be to use for a lefthander? Any of you lefties out there used this plane?

Almost all existing fenced planes are designed primarily for use by right handed folk (once again, the hegemony of those not in their right minds), with, occasionally, grudging options for left handed planing (those grudging options are really for planing when the reference face is unavoidably off to the right side of the plane). Because of their design, so far as I know, plow planes in general are designed for right handed use only. The combo planes (Stanley 45,46,50,55, and others) can in theory be used left handed, but really wouldn't work well that way.

Like most lefties, I've learned to use right handed stuff as needed.

I bought the LV Small Plow when it was issued, in right handed form. I was pleased to see the LV elves issue a leftie version (for socio-political reasons as much as anything), but, in thinking about it, I'm so used to planing right handed with fenced planes that I decided to keep my right handed plow plane. When I win the lottery, I'll probably buy the left handed version just in case I'm missing out on something, but it's not urgent.

If, however, you find you are super left-dominant and have a hard time turning yourself around, and the plow will be your first fenced plane, you might consider the left handed plow. If, though, you buy any fenced planes down the line that are not Lee Valley planes, you'll likely need to learn to plane right handed. Of course, at the rate Rob's elves are going, if you just wait, saving your ducats in the meantime, you'll never need to buy a fenced plane that's not a Lee Valley plane, because they will sooner or later produce every important plane type; and they have a strong commitment to offering "handed" tools in right and left hand versions.

Best, of course, would be to find a neighbor with one or more fenced planes, or go to one of the drool markets (aka woodworking shows) at which Lee Valley will be displaying, and try planing right handed before deciding.

Two side notes:

Side note 1: in my opinion, learning to plane with either hand orientation is a good thing. I can't hand saw right handed very well, and I don't hammer right handed at all (when I should be, I do this complex back handed hammering that looks like an awkward tennis player); but I have learned to plane either way, and it's helpful.

Side note 2: I adore the LV plow plane. I have a 45 and 55, and (I blush) four rabbet planes (not counting shoulder planes), and the LV plane's become my go to plane for grooves and small rabbets. Mounting the right size iron is quick, adjustment is quick, and the plane flows over the wood like a happy burbling creek, producing shavings and a groove in no time. I haven't even sharpened the irons yet, although I should mention that, due to other commitments (surgery, major landscaping projects that we'd deferred for years, some [now done thank goodness, though it paid for the plow plane and other toys] consulting work, other stuff), my shop time's been limited.

RickT Harding
06-05-2009, 2:26 PM
Just a thanks for the post. I was just looking at this plane as my next purchase last night. I've been working on a pair of panel doors for my current project and I hated setting up the TS to do it.

Bill Houghton
06-05-2009, 2:51 PM
Just a thanks for the post. I was just looking at this plane as my next purchase last night. I've been working on a pair of panel doors for my current project and I hated setting up the TS to do it.

You'll have fun with the plow plane - and, as a friend and mentor of my wife's used to say, "If it's not fun, it should not be done!"

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-05-2009, 4:04 PM
Nice post. I took one look at that plane and doubt was what I felt.

Then I scrolled down and was pleasantly surprised.

It was enough to make me consider getting one.

David Myers
06-05-2009, 4:16 PM
Thanks to all for the responses to my question, and for the heads up on the newly available left hand version (and thanks to Rob Lee for continuing to look out for us southpaws).

I just check the site and see that Lee Valley will exchange any previously purchased right handed version for a lefty version. Yet again their customer service goes above and beyond.

Bill, I don't yet have any fenced planes, and you're right, I may not ever have to buy a righty version thanks to our friends up North. I too can do some things righthanded including some planing tasks. Like you there's likely to be unsightly body contortions to avoid striking a nail righthanded, and even the thought of using a handsaw righthanded makes me want to curl up on the floor (like those nice shavings Barry Posted in his photo).

Now for the difficult part: keeping my next Lee Valley purchase limited to the item I decided to get a few weeks ago (the grinding tool rest/jig) and not adding the small plow plane (or the LA BU Jack, or the LA BUS, or the router plane, or the . . . ).

Bill Houghton
06-05-2009, 4:31 PM
Now for the difficult part: keeping my next Lee Valley purchase limited to the item I decided to get a few weeks ago (the grinding tool rest/jig) and not adding the small plow plane (or the LA BU Jack, or the LA BUS, or the router plane, or the . . . ).

But remember: if you combine several desires into one order, you save on shipping (ha! I'm not about to try THAT one on LOML).

David Myers
06-05-2009, 4:47 PM
But remember: if you combine several desires into one order, you save on shipping (ha! I'm not about to try THAT one on LOML).

One of my bosses just sent his daughter on a post-graduation trip to Europe. She called him 2 days ago to warn him not to freak out when he saw the credit card bill and explained to him that the Prada purse she just bought would have been at least $200 more in the states so it was a smart buy.

"But Honey, with the bevel up planes and interchangeable blades its like I'm getting four planes for the price of two. By adding the plow plane and the skew rabbet I'm really just breaking even."

Yep, think I'll have to hire a defense lawyer before I try that one.