PDA

View Full Version : Computer Router

Burt Alcantara
06-05-2009, 9:36 AM
I'm having a weird problem. I can connect to SMC and just a few other sites. All others...nada. I've had this problem before and it had something to do with the router. I checked with CableOne and no problems are reported for my area.

Did my router go south? If so, any recommendations? This is the second Linksys that may have gone bad.

Chuck Wintle
06-05-2009, 9:54 AM
I'm having a weird problem. I can connect to SMC and just a few other sites. All others...nada. I've had this problem before and it had something to do with the router. I checked with CableOne and no problems are reported for my area.

Did my router go south? If so, any recommendations? This is the second Linksys that may have gone bad.

I have a D-Link router that hangs up from time to time. To make it work again I need to log in to the router user panel and disconnect and reconnect the connection. Maybe yours is similar to this? Is your router wireless? Possible security code problem?

Burt Alcantara
06-05-2009, 9:59 AM
I can never remember the router address. Isn't this a standard?

Frank Trinkle
06-05-2009, 10:28 AM
usual linksys router address is 192.168.1.1

Chuck Wintle
06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I can never remember the router address. Isn't this a standard?

For my router I type in the browser address area "http://192.168.0.1" without the quotation marks though. This takes me to the router login. usually the default login name is 'admin" and the default password is left empty. Press enter and that should get you to the user panel of the router. The address is pretty standard for most routers and modems.

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
That's odd that you can still access some sites, but not all. Not sure how that would happen. Can you bypass the router and got to just one computer for testing to see if the problem goes away?
My Linksys router and my cable modem (no idea of brand) will slow things to a crawl at times. To the point that you can't even down load email without it timing out. I'm convinced it is a heat problem with the components, just haven't finished the cooling system I started for them to see if that helps. I have to disconnect all cables from both, let them sit for 15 minutes, then reconnect. Sometimes have to repeat. Went from 9.8 kps download last night to over 400 kps. 40 minutes later it was crawling again.:( Jim.

Chuck Wintle
06-05-2009, 11:10 AM
That's odd that you can still access some sites, but not all. Not sure how that would happen. Can you bypass the router and got to just one computer for testing to see if the problem goes away?
My Linksys router and my cable modem (no idea of brand) will slow things to a crawl at times. To the point that you can't even down load email without it timing out. I'm convinced it is a heat problem with the components, just haven't finished the cooling system I started for them to see if that helps. I have to disconnect all cables from both, let them sit for 15 minutes, then reconnect. Sometimes have to repeat. Went from 9.8 kps download last night to over 400 kps. 40 minutes later it was crawling again.:( Jim.

Jim,

For an overheating chip you can add a small heat sink with some heat sink compound between the chip and the heat sink. I use Dow Corning 340 heat sink compound.

David G Baker
06-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I purchased Network Magic and that has cured all of my Linksys router/cable modem/and network. Another thing that helped a lot was going to the Linksys site and downloading the update software for my router. It was confusing but I eventually figured out how to get the update to work.

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Jim,

For an overheating chip you can add a small heat sink with some heat sink compound between the chip and the heat sink. I use Dow Corning 340 heat sink compound.

Sorry Charles, the computer isn't overheating, but the modem and or router seem to get real hot (external units). I'm working on a housing that will contain both units that will have 2 computer fans to keep air moving through and around the units to help dissipate the heat. I've got a big honkin' fan and heat sink on the cpu. Something like 4 fans in the case.:rolleyes: Although this quad core chip runs hotter than I think it should, the computer seems to be fine. Jim.

Burt Alcantara
06-05-2009, 2:48 PM
Turns out it was the ISP or an external broken router hop. Went out to do chores. Came back and everything is copacetic (now there's a word you don't see too often).

I will try to put that address somewhere so I can find it easier. Maybe Tomboy. That's where I keep all my finishing recipes.

http://192.168.1.1
username: blank
password: admin

Thanks guys,
Burt

David G Baker
06-05-2009, 4:09 PM
Jim,
I just put my hand on my Linksys router and cable modem, they are cool to the touch. The modem is on 24/7 and the router is on at least 15 hours a day.
Wonder where you are picking up all the heat. They are separated and not stacked.

Chuck Wintle
06-05-2009, 4:24 PM
Sorry Charles, the computer isn't overheating, but the modem and or router seem to get real hot (external units). I'm working on a housing that will contain both units that will have 2 computer fans to keep air moving through and around the units to help dissipate the heat. I've got a big honkin' fan and heat sink on the cpu. Something like 4 fans in the case.:rolleyes: Although this quad core chip runs hotter than I think it should, the computer seems to be fine. Jim.
Jim,
I know. I meant the main chip in the router can be heatsinked.

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2009, 4:47 PM
Jim,
I know. I meant the main chip in the router can be heatsinked.

AHHHHH! Never heard of that. I hate opening up stuff that's still in warranty though. Thanks for the info. I'll try to remember that for later on.

David, the only place SWMBO will allow it to reside is on top of the tower. Shouldn't be that hot there, but there really isn't much air flow to help with the convective cooling. Jim.

Greg Peterson
06-05-2009, 8:58 PM
You might try flushing your DNS cache, and just for good measure release and renew your IP address.

Open a command prompt, type IPCONFIG /flushdns and hit enter.

If your computer is setup to for DHCP, then type IPCONFIG /release and hit enter. Then type IPCONFIG /renew.

If your running XP, you can just right click on your network connection and select Repair.

Jeff Dege
06-05-2009, 11:23 PM
My ActionTec DSL modem acts as a DHCP server - and reports itself as being a DNS server. And then it proceeds to screw up its own DNS cache, and to regularly return the wrong IP address for domain lookups.

Until I figured this out and configured my OS to not allow what was returned by the modem's DHCP results to reconfigure my DNS settings, I would repeatedly have sessions where my browser would take me to the wrong sites.