PDA

View Full Version : Have they gone too far??

Thom Sturgill
06-05-2009, 8:03 AM
I noticed that Steel City has advertised a granite mini-lathe. Anyone seen it? Any comments?

While I can definitely see using granite for table saw and jointer beds, I question that the woodworking lathe needs that kind of dimensional stability for the ways, and the bearings and spindle are more important than the housing.

John Shuk
06-05-2009, 8:41 AM
I know that the floor model Rigid tablesaw at my home depot has a chipped out miter track. I'd stick with cast iron. Honestly I don't get the point of the granite thing.

Jim Underwood
06-05-2009, 8:44 AM
What's going to happen the first time you drop a chuck or something on that thing? I think the whole granite idea is a bit of a gimmick.

I don't get it either.:confused:

curtis rosche
06-05-2009, 8:56 AM
granite only works on a lathe for things that wont be out of balance at all. you could usue it as a balast for your lathe though.

the first time that you put a out or round peice on there it would crack. or if you over tightened any of the bolts

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 9:37 AM
I have seen it at Woodcraft and it sure is purdy. May be suitable for a pen and bottle stop maker but it would likely chip or crack fairly easy.

Thom Sturgill
06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
From what I'd read when they came out with the granite topped TS, is really isn't any more prone to breakage than cast iron and doesn't require the heat treating for stability. Still, I think its overkill for a lathe, but i bet it is purty...

Jim Underwood
06-05-2009, 3:01 PM
I'd still prefer cast iron.

Ever try to drill and tap granite? :D

David Walser
06-05-2009, 3:12 PM
When I was last down to the local Woodcraft, I took a close look at the granite-made Steel City lathe. The headstock already had a chip out of one corner, so it's safe to say chipping could be a problem. I don't think the lathe bed or headstock would be prone to breakage, even if you were to drop a chuck or skew onto the granite. (Drop a bowling ball from 10 feet, and I'm pretty sure you'll have a problem.

The granite lathe bed is much thicker than are the beds of similarly sized cast iron lathes. This requires the clamping portion of the tailstock and tool rest banjo to be much thicker, too. I don't suppose that would be a problem, but it will make those parts heavier than they'd otherwise need to be and will make it more difficult to make up your own accessories (or find after-market accessories) that clamp to the lathe bed.

Other than the minor issue of finding or making parts that will fit on the thicker lathe bed, I don't see any disadvantage of the granite construction. I also don't see any advantage for the user of the lathe. I do see a possible advantage to the manufacturer. I suspect it's cheaper to make a true and square lathe out of granite than it is to cast and machine the same lathe out of iron.

Personally, I wouldn't want one of these lathes. I use lamps with magnetic bases -- which would have nothing to hold on to. I also use a magnet to hold a drawing of what I'm trying to turn to the lathe. I could always tape that stuff on...

Mike Spanbauer
06-05-2009, 3:35 PM
Played w/ one for a moment at the "local" woodcraft and it's "neat". The one item I'd mention though is as David mentions above, the bed is much thicker. This leads to issues when you release the banjo and try to slide it back and forth. The model in the store at least was sticking and required you to have a hand on the bottom to slide it along w/ the top.

Interesting, but not for me.

mike

Frank Kobilsek
06-05-2009, 5:19 PM
Why Not. My only turning of late has been on some large blanks of wet walnut. It is very corrosive so I find myself cleaning the bed of the lathe with 3 in 1 oil 'mid-bowl'. Granite would solve that problem.
Frank

Tony Kahn
06-05-2009, 8:26 PM
The only advantages i saw when i looked at it in woodcraft, is weight and corrosion resistance, weight can be added by either ballast or bolt down, and a little naval jelly, wd-40 or solvent of choice will help some steel wool handle even the worst of corrosion from forgotten wet shavings.

Jack Gaskins
06-05-2009, 9:30 PM
Who the heck is designing these tools for this company anyway???:eek:. I mean come on people. The economy hasn't gotten so bad that you have to hire teenagers to design this stuff. Whats next, a plastic lathe,,,,,,,,,:D

CW McClellan
06-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Look at old pics of lathes
Made of wood or iron
water powered -pole -hand or pedal powered :eek:
Turned out beautiful pieces
Doesn't matter if you spend $200 to $6000 for a lathe
It's the learning and skills learned to do the turning proper
It's the skill and patients of the " turner "
My 2.5 cents worth :rolleyes: Thank you :D

george wilson
06-05-2009, 11:08 PM
It is probably cheaper to get granite quarried in China than to use cast iron,and no seasoning problems. I'll stick with cast iron,because it is too easy to chip the corner of granite,like mentioned above,on the miter gauge grooves. True,not going to corrode. I just wipe the cast iron off,and oil it.

Nathan Hawkes
06-06-2009, 12:05 PM
I just bought a PM 3520 a few months ago, and I'm not going to be in the market for a new lathe any time in the next few years, but I wonder what the vibration dampening properties of granite are. I know that concrete is supposed to be better at vibration dampening than iron. I also bet that its a lot harder to chip the granite than people think. Unless you're preparing to drop a skew or spear point scraper from your ceiling onto the bed ways, you're probably going to be fine. I think just like the table saws, the benefits of granite have some serious merit; the machining tolerances are as good or better than iron, and granite doesn't warp or twist like iron can. I know its more brittle than iron, but is that really going to be an issue with most turners' lathe positioning? I for one hate the blowing off or brushing off of wet chips all the time and oiling the bed all the time. I don't mind wood shavings on my skin, but oil just seems to make a big mess. Just my opinion.

Ron Bontz
06-06-2009, 1:08 PM
We have been through the bronze age, the industrial age, and into the electronics age. For the same product the amount of labor and time required has decreased. The one common factor that has remained through out history? Artistry and craftsmanship. Just my thought, among many.:)

David Walser
06-06-2009, 1:51 PM
... I wonder what the vibration dampening properties of granite are. I know that concrete is supposed to be better at vibration dampening than iron. I also bet that its a lot harder to chip the granite than people think.... I think just like the table saws, the benefits of granite have some serious merit; the machining tolerances are as good or better than iron, and granite doesn't warp or twist like iron can....

Time will tell if the advantages of granite outweigh its disadvantages. We have granite counter tops in our kitchen and my wife wouldn't be without them. Those counter tops have rounded corners and edges. In contrast, the edges of the granite bed and headstock on Steel City's new lathe are sharp. From the chips I saw on the lathe on display at Woodcraft, I believe the granite will be fairly prone to small chips. Those chips should have zero affect on the performance of the lathe.

Tim Cleveland
06-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I honestly don't think that chipping would be a big enough problem to actually damage the lathes performance. I have had Steel City's bandsaw with a granite table for about a year and worked it really hard, cutting some massive logs on that thing, almost all of them green and have really enjoyed the absence of any corrosion issues. The granite table has held up very well, no chips on it at all. Even though it's so heavy for a mini (130 lb's I think), I do wonder about the vibration dampening qualities of the granite. Might be sort of interesting for someone to do a demo where they just beat on the lathe with a small sledge hammer.

Tim