PDA

View Full Version : Royal Cedar For Use Outside

Keith Starosta
06-05-2009, 7:56 AM
I am planning to make some decent sized planter boxes for my wife. These planters will sit on our front porch, covered by an awning, but not out of the elements. They will get some rain spray and afternoon sunlight. I was originally going to use Cypress in their construction, but came upon a source for what is called "Royal Cedar". I had never seen this before, but did find the following description online...

Description: The color varies according to growth conditions but is usually from pale pinkish-brown to dark reddish-brown. Straight grained or shallowly interlocked with a moderately coarse texture. It is easy to work with hand or machine tools; edges must be kept sharp to avoid a tendency to woolliness. The presence of gum presents some difficulty in staining and polishing, but after suitable filling, can be brought to a good finish. It holds nails, screws well, and can be glued satisfactorily.

Origin: South America

Uses: Furniture, cabinets, and panelling, high-class joinery, flooring, house construction, boat building, skins of racing boats, canoe decks, cigar boxes, sound boards for organs, clothing chests. Sliced for decorative veneers for panelling and as plywood and panel corestock. Not a true cedar.

Note: Royal Cedar is similar to Spanish Cedar but without the oil that produces the aromatic scent.

It doesn't say anything about outdoor use, so I will ask YOU...the knowledable SMC reader...can I use this material for an outdoor project without worry poor results?

Thanks very much!!

- Keith

Mark Versprille
06-05-2009, 1:32 PM
If it is recommended for boat building I would guess a planter would be OK. On the last planters I made, I built them so some plastic planters from the BORG would just drop in. That way I am less tempted to just leave the dirt in the planter all winter.

Ben Davis
06-05-2009, 2:07 PM
Frankly, I would stick with the Cypress or, even better, MDO plywood. I'm not certain I would put the work and effort into a box that might or might not hold up to the elements.

The operative words to me are "not a true cedar."