PDA

View Full Version : First Time Turning Ebony Wood

Billy Tallant
06-05-2009, 2:13 AM
I've had some ebony blanks I've been wanting to try out. Finally got a chance after work today. Did not realize how hard ebony was. Now I know why everyone is using HSS tools. Sharpen my gouge & turned a little, stop & sharpen again. That was some tough wood.

Also turned another piece of marble wood. Did not have any BLO, so just used two coats of CA for a finish with a wax finish on top. First time to try a CA finish... Still got some work to do on this finish before I'm happy with it.

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2009, 9:22 AM
Nice work on both pens Billy! The Ebony really turned out classy looking!

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2009, 9:25 AM
Those are some good looking pens Billy. Yep ebony is hard but really makes some nice pens and finials.

robert hainstock
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Some "creekers" have had problems (me) with ebony pens cracking because of the heat caused by drilling the Harrrrd blanks. Others have adressed this problem by water cooling during the drilling. Sorry If I am a wer blanket, but I lost three in a row before i gave up on the stuff. :eek:
Bob

Mark Hix
06-05-2009, 8:52 PM
I like the ebony alot. My one experiment with it cracked when it went from a cold environment to a warm one.

Allen Neighbors
06-05-2009, 9:46 PM
Some "creekers" have had problems (me) with ebony pens cracking because of the heat caused by drilling the Harrrrd blanks. Others have adressed this problem by water cooling during the drilling. Sorry If I am a wer blanket, but I lost three in a row before i gave up on the stuff. :eek:
Bob
I've made 6 Ebony pens, some of them with two and three, 3/32" rings of turquoise. Two of them cracked the full length of the bottom barrel (no turquoise on the bottom). I think it is because the Ebony wasn't cured.
I had bought a 2-1/2" x 6 x 6 block that was fully covered with wax. I had it in an old refrigerator for about 2 years before I had the guts to cut into it, and another year before I tried making pen blanks of it. I first just cut pieces off of it to make finials and collars for HFs.
One of those pens that cracked has had three bottom barrels on it, and the third one is cracked now. All from that same block of Ebony.
I now have another block of Ebony, and have cut it all into pen blanks, and the ends are Anchorsealed, and they are in my refer kiln, drying. I'd be willing to bet that the next one won't crack.

jason lambert
06-08-2009, 1:20 PM
Yea I have had mixed results with ebony it likes to crack. Some have been fine for 6 months now some crack a day or two after. Beautyful wood but for pens I think making it thin and round makes some pieces want to crack. But when it works, it looks great so I continue to use it.

robert hainstock
06-08-2009, 2:57 PM
I've made 6 Ebony pens, some of them with two and three, 3/32" rings of turquoise. Two of them cracked the full length of the bottom barrel (no turquoise on the bottom). I think it is because the Ebony wasn't cured.
I had bought a 2-1/2" x 6 x 6 block that was fully covered with wax. I had it in an old refrigerator for about 2 years before I had the guts to cut into it, and another year before I tried making pen blanks of it. I first just cut pieces off of it to make finials and collars for HFs.
One of those pens that cracked has had three bottom barrels on it, and the third one is cracked now. All from that same block of Ebony.
I now have another block of Ebony, and have cut it all into pen blanks, and the ends are Anchorsealed, and they are in my refer kiln, drying. I'd be willing to bet that the next one won't crack.

Alan, the ebony that I used for my pens had been in my wood bin for over ten tears. Other creekers who expierenced similarcracking with ebony pen blanks reported water cooling the drill saved thier blanks. here in northern Michs very dry climates, I have lost other pricey blanks the same way. The latest a pink ivory pen. It was store bought,and kiln dried.

Phil Gershwin
10-07-2009, 10:19 AM
(HI, new to the site, this is my first post)

I have never had an issue with ebony cracking while working with it. Drilling, turning, polishing.

But this weekend a gallery in Big Bear Lake caring many of my pens reported that all the ebony pens on had cracks in them. I then inspected my personal inventory I notice small cracks in every pen made from ebony.

These are some of my most expensive pens. I am crushed. I probably just lost $500!!

Any thoughts on way to seal the pens so this does not happen? Any creative way to fix these?

Opinion please!

David E Keller
10-07-2009, 4:53 PM
I have heard others say that their snakewood and ebony pens all crack eventually, so they turn and wait for the cracks. Then remount the pen on the lathe and fill the cracks with sawdust and CA slurry. I've done this with snakewood and the repair is almost invisible. I would imagine ebony repairs are even less visible(although I've yet to have any cracking problems with the few Gabon ebony pens I've turned). I use thin CA and wet sand with it using 320 grit. If you've got $500 involved in the pens, I'd definitely try it.

Aaron Wingert
10-07-2009, 5:11 PM
I have made a couple duck calls from gaboon ebony and haven't experienced any cracking. The wood in them is more like 1/4" thick though. When I drill my blanks I use a constant blast of compressed air to keep the bit and the blank as cool as possible. Not saying it works, but it works for me!

Frank Drew
10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I ran some Macassar ebony across my jointer once and it sounded, and felt, like I was trying to machine a piece of marble! Made what we ordinarily think of as hard woods, like rock maple, seem mild by comparison.

Phil Gershwin
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
It wll be very hard to CA Slury the pens since they are already assembled but itis definitely worth trying. Hope I don't get the goo on the hardware.

I was wondering if anyone had a finishing suggestion that would stop the cracking before it starts. I would hate someone to buy a pen for $100 and then have it crack on them. Hate it more when they call me for a refund.