PDA

View Full Version : source for award plaques

Scott M Smith
06-05-2009, 1:37 AM
I am looking where I can order a plaque for putting the brass plates on. I am talking about the wood with a big plate at the top for showing what it is for and little plates below it secured with small nails or screws. Or is this something that is made easily? Looks like they are called perpetual plaques.

Stephen Beckham
06-05-2009, 7:05 AM
Scott,

How much time do you have? I've got a few templates that I can post (later at work - if I have a brain cell left to remember). In vector mode, it drills tiny holes where all the screws should go. The holes are small enough vector circle that the laser really doesn't move, it just beeps and leaves a scorch where to drill. I've done it without drilling, but stripped a few brass screws that way, now I pre-drill a tiny depth with a 1/16" bit and it makes things a lot smoother.

I found that it's far cheaper to make my own than pay some Chinese Laborer to make them. It also allows you to change them if required - you can use the template on the side of a Cup Base to make a perpetual trophy... yada... yada... :cool:

Mike Null
06-05-2009, 7:50 AM
What you are describing is indeed called a perpetual plaque. My preference is to buy these ready made and you can get them from a number of suppliers.

I believe it is too time consuming to make them yourself and too difficult to get payback.

Martin Boekers
06-05-2009, 10:18 AM
It is time consuming making the plaques. I do it on rare occasions when a special design or size is needed. I have even had to cut plates to a special size and punch holes not much fun!

On the layout of the plaque I design the size and where the plates should go, then vector cut that out of a piece of mat board. Then line up the mat with the back board.

That way the I can set the plates in the holes and mount them from there.

It takes a fair amount of time, easier to order from JDS!

Marty

Stephen Beckham
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Like I mentioned and two concurs followed - how much time do you have? I should mention, I buy the plates and screws, it would be extremely painful to cut them and make the boards, just making the boards is bad enough. If I was going to do more than one or two at a time, I would give serious thought to buying verses making my own.

Here are three files that give you and idea how to lay them out. They are in version 10 Corel.

Enjoy - don't call me if it takes too long, you were warned... three times...:D

Scott M Smith
06-05-2009, 9:13 PM
With that said, I would like to use the coated plates that laser bits sells. The ones that are i believe are 2.5 X 1" can you buy the premade plaques without the badges that would fit those?

Mike Null
06-06-2009, 8:11 AM
I would look at JDS as my first supplier for these items then Tropar.

Scott M Smith
06-06-2009, 3:07 PM
Thank you for the info.