PDA

View Full Version : Tool Sharpening system

Frank Hasty
06-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Has anybody tried Grizzly's $200 Tormek knock off?

Kyle Iwamoto
06-05-2009, 2:28 PM
Do a search, this has been discussed several times, it has mixed reviews. Some like it, many return it. I think most here cannot adapt the Tormek jigs to work. So if you were planning on that, maybe you should reconsider. The Jet jigs interchange.

I have a Tormek, and I think it's worth the investment. If you just sharpening gouges, most here like the Wolverine. The main benefit to the Tormek (and all the copies), is you can sharpen everything in your house. I snuck teh Tormek by the wife claiming I can sharpen all the kitchen knives.... Now she complains when they get dull.....

Burt Alcantara
06-05-2009, 2:42 PM
I had one. Returned it. It was a train wreck. Everything wobbled. Wheels wouldn't stay on. Noisy, frame bent. Ugh. Took a hit on restocking but was glad to get it out of the house. As luck would have it, Woodcraft had a big sale on the Tormek so I picked that up.

Bernie Weishapl
06-05-2009, 4:37 PM
I had a chance to use one and then a Tormek. There is absolutely no comparison. The one I used was a friend of mine and the wheel would not run true plus it had other problems. I bought mine with both the jigs to sharpen everything from my garden tools, the wifes scissors, kitchen utensils, my shop tools and my turning tools. Worth every penny.

Robert Parrish
06-05-2009, 6:55 PM
I looked at all the options the past few weeks and finally bought a Tormek last week. My tools have never been this sharp in the past 30 years. It has a learning curve but comes with great videos and documentation. I was able to put an Irish grind on my micro turning tools.

Jim Burr
06-08-2009, 8:38 PM
Cost of the Tormek was a little prohibitive for me, so I went with the new Nova. The instructions suck, but so far, it works great.