PDA

View Full Version : Cutting FRP Tags for Sublimation

AL Ursich
06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I have had a project on the books for a while needing to cut 1.5 x 4 inch FRP Tags from Sheet Stock. Finally got a good product using my Sears Hobby Grade CarveWright machine using a sled or carrier board. Cut a 6 inch long 1/16 inch end mill in half to fit my machine.

I would post this in the CNC section but the CarveWright is a hobby machine and the Big CNC's snicker at it.... ;)

I could have done the same thing on my Star 912 but I wanted to do a sheet at a time.

I used a PVC board for the sled and cut slightly through having placed double sided tape under the FRP. It held well. I will use the sled with a strip of double stick tape but have plans to drill 2 holes at each tag location and slot the bottom and make a vacuum sled.

This is a start. It cut like butter.... Installed the new ROCK Chuck to get rid of the old Ball Bearing QC or Quick Chuck that would wear and cause flutter of the bit.

AL

Mike Null
06-05-2009, 8:10 AM
Al

No reason to be embarrassed about posting your results here. That's nice work.

Keith Outten
06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Al,

CNC is CNC no matter what the price tag. I don't let the guys with the $100,000.00 machines intimidate me with my little ShopBot and my Porter Cable Router motor :)

What's important is what comes off the table, your job looks pretty good to me. Some may not of even thought to use their CNC machine to cut custom tags from sheet.

Go get em!

:)

Guy Mathews
06-05-2009, 1:04 PM
CNC means Computer Numerically Controlled.
It does not mean that my machine is better then yours.
The cordinates of a CNC machine are identical whether your machine cost 2,000 dollars or 2 million. Without an operator smart enough to tell them what to do, they are just dumb pieces of metal that would sit and gather dust. Let no one intimidate you or snicker at you because of the size of your machine.

By the way, you got the job, and the guy that snickers at you didn't.

Who is laughing now?

Great work, keep posting your work and be proud of it!

Signed, a guy with a $250K machine at his disposal!

AL Ursich
06-05-2009, 1:34 PM
Thanks guys.... I really want a Shop bot someday.

This really opens up my product line possibilities... I make a lot of Signs but the growing area of my business is Fire Department stuff including Accountability Tags. This gives me the opportunity to do 2 sided tags that were not available as name tags and custom shapes too. Even had a request for a water drop shape for a pool pass last year...

I even picked up some glow in the dark sheet stock that I can make Fire Tags from...

AL

Brian Robison
06-05-2009, 2:32 PM
Al,why didn't you cut with the laser?

Chip Peterson
06-05-2009, 2:36 PM
CNC means Computer Numerically Controlled.

I always thought CNC meant "Chip's Not Cutting". I guess I have egg on my face!

:o

Skip Weiser
06-05-2009, 8:06 PM
Nice job Al !! That worked pretty slick.

AL Ursich
06-05-2009, 8:17 PM
I have not touched my Lasers in 6 months.... same with the Star 912. The Profile needs a new mirror that I have and the Summit runs on win 95 as it has the oldest firmware. Was looking for a control board to let it run on XP... But I don't have the cash flow to cover it for now.

Too many toys.... Making wooden signs today and Fire Tags.

AL:rolleyes:

Leigh Costello
06-07-2009, 2:47 PM
Too many toys?!?!? There is no such thing! Oh the joys of so many toys! Laser, rotary, lathe, high speed hand carving, Carvewright, there is no such thing as too many toys!

BTW, that is a very good idea, Al. Keep 'em coming!

Hubby wants me to add oven and washing machine and dryer to my toy list. What a terrible thing to say! ;) I love to cook and clean for him but puleeasee - toys?!?