PDA

View Full Version : Soup's On!

Wes Bischel
08-18-2004, 5:32 PM
Well, it's finally done - or should I say my bandsaw is up and running. (no tool is ever done - there's always another jig to make :rolleyes: )
Anyway, this soup recipie goes something like this:

Start with a Chinese frame as the basic stock mixed with a Ridgid riser kit. Add to that a shopmade enclosed base cabinet with a built in mobile base. A 1-1/2HP Baldor motor adds some zest. Next grizzly wheels and trunnions, Jet guides (a big thanks to Mike Cutler) with a home made guidebar. Season with new American made Fafnir bearings and a Square D switch. Paint to taste. Add a Shopmaster fence for garnish and voila - a bandsaw.

Now I know it's no MM, but it does increase my capabilities two hundred fold. :)

Wes

Dennis Peacock
08-18-2004, 5:57 PM
Nice work Wes!!!! Looks GREAT!!!!

Don't worry about the name on a tool.

The tool does not make a craftsman.....it assists him in getting his work done faster. ;)

Great piece of work.!!!! I like it.

Jerry Olexa
08-18-2004, 6:04 PM
Good for you!! Good innovation, good use of existing materials etc etc You should be proud!! Great Job!! Jerry

Carole Valentine
08-18-2004, 6:12 PM
Wow! That looks great! Probably cuts as good or better than a name brand, made in America one and for a whole lot less $$ (if you don't count the sweat equity!) Wish I could build my own machines from parts.

Jim Becker
08-18-2004, 6:18 PM
Now that is a very sharp lookin' saw, Wes! You did a GREAT job on the restoration/manufacturing/reconstitution/whatever-you-want-to-call-it project!!! :D

Chris Padilla
08-18-2004, 6:32 PM
Very nice job, Wes. It is always fun restoring old pieces or even "slapping" together several different ones to get a unique machine.

So how about some more specs? Are those 14" wheels? What is the rip capacity? Whatcha usin' fer blades?? :D :D You should put your name on it: Serial #0001 Bischel Bandsaw.... ;)

JayStPeter
08-18-2004, 6:34 PM
That's a great job Wes. Good looking fabrication on the guidebar.

I think everyone should consider doing a machine project. I did a '60s Rockwell jointer a while back. Really gives you some additional understanding of whats involved in your machines to a more detailed level. I've even disassembled a few of my other machines just to get a closer look at the mechanisms. You also learn how to "shop" the mfrs and industrial suppliers for common parts like switches and pulleys. Wes is obviously a pro there :D .

Jay

Pete Harbin
08-18-2004, 8:17 PM
Next thing you know we'll all be placing orders for Bischels.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-18-2004, 8:24 PM
That's a great looking machine and I'm sure you will get many years of good service out of it.

William Hall
08-18-2004, 8:28 PM
Great job. The talent and abilities of people on this forum never cease to amaze me.

Dominic Greco
08-18-2004, 9:05 PM
This looks awesome! And I bet it's a dream to use now. You put a lot of effort into this and it shows.

Wes Bischel
08-19-2004, 1:52 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It still needs some tweeking (barely passes the nickel test - could be better) as well as the typical fence accessories, but it does the job. As far as specs go it's a basic 14" saw, 1-1/2HP realHP - just about got a hernia moving that motor around :p , 12" rip capacity, Timberwolf blades -1/4",3/8",1/2" (picked up during the sale I heard about here). The tension spring will be upgraded to a Itturra piece when I get around to replacing the existing screw thread with an acme thread. The light is from Enco - dumped the mag base and drilled and tapped the end of the frame.

I know some would question using a cheap machine as the basis for all this work (as I do/did), but price was the driver (as Carole noted). I looked for about two years for a Walker Turner or old Delta etc., but they all went for more - in rough shape, than I have invested in this saw finished. Come to think of it, the money I saved building this one allowed me to buy the planer at Lowes recently. :D

Anyhow, it was a learning experience - now to get onto building the bases for the planer and lathe - oh, and the CMS and . . . . :rolleyes:
Thanks again, Wes

David Rose
08-19-2004, 2:00 AM
Wes, I love it! I enjoy my little 14" Delta a lot more since I added a larger wooden table. And it was simple to do. Nice job!

David, who thinks Mrs. Oleary's cow was BBQed

Kelly C. Hanna
08-19-2004, 8:23 AM
Wow! Very nice work...looks better than some factory units. I sure do like the paint color. The hidden mobile base is very cool. BTW, it should bear your name since you made it...you can call it a BB (Bischel Bandsaw)!!

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Wes
That's my kind of thinking as to engineering.
I love that kind of stuff.
It sure looks GREAT!
Daniel :D

Wes Bischel
08-19-2004, 1:22 PM
David, who thinks Mrs. Oleary's cow was BBQed

ROTFLMAO!! How true!

Wes

Gary Max
08-19-2004, 1:55 PM
Great job ---I bet you own that saw for a long time and maintance should be easy.

Mark J Bachler
08-19-2004, 2:13 PM
You should start your own machine comapny SCRAP: Super Creative Recycled Automated Products. 8o)

Very nice job.

Dave Anderson NH
08-19-2004, 5:44 PM
I too bought and refurbished an old machine a few years ago, but mine was an open stand Jet 18" with cast iron frame and 2 hp motor. After my experience with the rebuild, I firmly believe that it is one of the best ways to get to know your tool inside and out. On mine I replaced all of the bearings with fully sealed ones instead of the more common shielded ones and added new tires and Iturra bandrollers. I bought an abused 2hp 18" saw and ended up with a well running one with 12 1/2" resaw and the ability to handle 1" resaw blades. Bought it for $450 and added about $150 in parts and materials. There's no way I could have bought an 18" with that kind of power and resaw for under $1000 to $1200 or more. Someday I might even repaint it, but you folks might get cyanotic if you wait for me to do it.