PDA

View Full Version : What is the gap between the ways?

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 9:16 PM
I plan on making my own ways for my machine but I want to utilize a conventional tailstock from Oneway, Robust or other machine with a 24 swing. I'll likely make my own banjo and tool rest but I dont want to have to make the tailstock. I just might fabricate my own but I want to have the option of using (and standardizing) my machine with others.

I will be bringing the steel home tomorrow and if I dont get it welded up this weekend it will be next week some time.

I saw somewhere on the net a bed extension that had 1-1/2" gap but I dont recall what machine it was for.

So, if someone with said machine could do me a favor and measure the gap for me I would appreciate it. Also the thickness of the ways where the tailstock and banjo clamps would be great, close up pics would even be beter.

If anyone knows where to get said tailstock, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Jeff Nicol
06-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Mark, The powermatic lathes and the Vicmarc 24" are at 2.5" for the gap. The powermatic's total is 8" and the Vicmarc a little less. It would be easy to get a different bottom clamp piece made to fit any size you wanted. You could even ask if they would make a special one for you but they might charge you and arm and a leg so getting it done yourself would be easier.

Jeff

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 11:45 PM
That is crucial information at this stage. I'll get a mock up tomorrow with pics.

Is the Oneway and Robust the same? I doubt it....

David Peebles
06-05-2009, 1:31 AM
Hi Mark,

I have the Oneway 2436. The gap is 1-3/4". And the thickness on the ways is 1/2" . That 1/2" is where the guide block for the tailstock runs under the ways. It is a bit thicker farther out. But that should be the measurement you need.

Best wishes,

Dave

I should add that this lathe is about 12 years old. They may have changed since then, but I don't know for sure. I would give them a call to be sure.

phil harold
06-05-2009, 8:37 AM
get the tailstock first
then build the rails

curtis rosche
06-05-2009, 8:50 AM
i think the ways need to be notched or knurled of some sort. the ways on our lathes at school are so worn from heavy use that you have to put a c-clamp behind the tailstock or it wont even drill a 1/4 inch hole.

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 9:19 AM
get the tailstock first
then build the rails
Thats what I would like to do but I don't havd the $ at the present time and in the mean time I would like to have a tool rest. That I can fabricate.
I may end up fabricating the tail stock myself for the same reason. I guess if I end up fabricating the tail stock I could make it anything I want.

curtis rosche
06-05-2009, 9:23 AM
Mark,
go over to www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org) then ask if anyone has a spare tailstock. tons of people do, and a new lathe gets parted out almost every couple days. the only thing is that it would be an old tailstock. but if you were to get an oliver tailstock that would be perfect. they are definatly heavy duty. and if it was to small for your lathe swing all you would have to do is make a block to go between the bed and the bottom of the tailstock

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 9:39 AM
Thanks Curtis, I'll check that out and let ya know if I find anything.

Dick Strauss
06-05-2009, 9:55 AM
Mark,
Ask Oneway for a mechanical drawing of the 2436 tailstock casting in its finished state. The key (tab that hangs below the main tailstock) dimension on the drawing will define what your gap should be. The width of the casting should tell you that you need two pieces that are the following dimension wide ((total width-gap or key width)/2).

One thing to note...the Oneway tailstock has a MT3 in the tailstock!

My Delta 1440 has the following specs...1/2" thick CI bed 6" wide with a 1 1/2" gap . If it were my lathe, I'd go for 3/4-1" thick metal so that you'd have to weld less webbing for support under the bed while having more strength.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Dick

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I dont think Oneway is just going to e-mail me a pdf of the casting but it couldn't hurt to ask eh?
The MT#3 wouldn't be to much problem, I could allways get a MT#3 to MT#2 adapter.

My ways wont be that thick I dont need the mass, I think thats why others are that thick. I have a neat idea for supporting the ways (think bridge stucture;;)). I'll post pics when I get it done.

Dick Strauss
06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Mark,
Oneway will tell you how wide the keyway is and how wide/long the tailstock assembly is if you ask. That is really all you need I think (???).

phil harold
06-05-2009, 6:58 PM
Thats what I would like to do but I don't havd the $ at the present time and in the mean time I would like to have a tool rest. That I can fabricate.
I may end up fabricating the tail stock myself for the same reason. I guess if I end up fabricating the tail stock I could make it anything I want.

I understand that...

I would think you would want it as wide as possible and then the vicmark or powermatics could be the answer

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 7:26 PM
I understand that...

I would think you would want it as wide as possible and then the vicmark or powermatics could be the answer

Can somebody with a newer vicmark or Powermatic get me a dimension?

I just got home with the steel for the ways, Needs a little cleaning up but should do the job. They are guide rails for an elevator so they are precision straight:D

Maylon Harvey
06-05-2009, 9:32 PM
PM 3520 less than a year old

2.5 inch gap and .560 inch thick

Mark Norman
06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Thank you Maylon,

I am mocking up the ways. It looks like they will fit the bill, the web thickness is not nearly that thick but hey, its a prototype and should work ok for my purpose. I wish I could afford a new tailstock but I have kids to feed.