PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a product?

Michael Schumacher
06-04-2009, 2:59 PM
I'm going to be siding the house in the next few weeks. I'm putting up cement fiber and have most of everything I need except a few odds and ends. Anyway, I'm going to be taking off the 4x8 sheets that are on the house now and putting the siding up. Under the sheets is 1/2 or 5/8 thick foam, which behind it is the wall cavity filled (hopefully) with insulation and then the drywall...or something like that. So when I get to the upper part of the house where I have to lean the ladder in, I'll be putting the ladder against the fragile foam. I see there is a ladder stabilizer, but is there something that I could purchase that would distribute the weight of the ladder?

Oh - I'll be gone for a while from the computer the next week, so I might not respond with any questions...

Thanks, Michael

Todd Burch
06-04-2009, 3:39 PM
I typically remove from the top down, and apply from the bottom up. Why are you raising the ladder higher than what's been sided as you install? That means you have to fish the siding under the ladder to install. (I'm assuming you are installing horizontal lap siding)

Todd

Jim O'Dell
06-04-2009, 4:28 PM
If you have to lean the ladder against the foam, find a way to secure a 2 X 4 across the top so that it hits your studs, not the tops of the ladder on just the foam. That will distribute the weight onto the structural part of the wall. Just make sure the 2 X 4 is secure to the ladder. Jim.

Dan Mages
06-04-2009, 6:53 PM
Personally, I would rent scaffolding to do the work.

Dan

Bob Lloyd
06-04-2009, 8:02 PM
Michael

The 4 x 8 sheets that you mention, what are they made of and why are you removing them? Can you not leave them in place?

Bob

Lee Schierer
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
You can mount a board across the feet of the stablizer to distribute the weight.