PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Latch Question

Mark Kelly
08-18-2004, 2:43 PM
I had to make a safety fence with a gate for inside the house. I didn't want to pay for one from a child's catalog as I thought they were overpriced. I am just about done, but now I don't know what to use as a latch for the gate. It has to be some sort of latch that requires two hands to undue, as my 1 year old will figure out how to open a normal and easy latch. But it also has to be something a 5 year old could open, so locks are out. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on what to use?

Charles McKinley
08-18-2004, 3:32 PM
Hi Mark,

With the older one to watch I don't think it will matter much the second one will figure it out in no time. I know my 20 month old is much more mechanically skilled and did things way earlier then my 3 year old mostly from watching her older sister. You can try one of the hooks that have a spring loaded catch that must be pulled back before the hook is lifted.

Good luck in your search. Aren't munchkins fun!?

Chris Padilla
08-18-2004, 5:55 PM
Kids are amazing. If they are determined, they only have to see it once and you're done.

Jamie Buxton
08-18-2004, 6:18 PM
Can you make it difficult for the younger kid by making it tall? That is, make some sort of latching mechanism which requires somebody to reach 48" in the air -- or whatever you determine is a good height.

Hmm, second thought... For this to work safely, the gate needs to be un-climbable. You wouldn't want to build a latch system which encourages the smaller kid to climb the gate to get at it -- and then maybe fall off or over the gate. Come to think of it, one of the building code requirements for fences around decks is that the fence be unclimbable. Vertical elements are allowed, but horizontal ones aren't.

Chris Padilla
08-18-2004, 6:50 PM
If we put stuff out of reach of our daughter, guess what she does? Yep, she starts dragging the nearest stepstool (i.e. chair, box, toy, etc.) over. Like I said, if kids are determined, they are fantastic problem solvers! :) However, the solution isn't always the safest! :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-18-2004, 8:23 PM
It's truly amazing what young children can do. When our youngest was 3...we kept all of our "dangerous household chemicals and such" in a pantry off the kitchen. It had the "standard" hook lock about 5 1/2' off the floor. Me and my oldest two kids were always "catching it" from SWMBO when the youngest was found in there "playing" with things he wasn't supposed to be able to access. We had a window with shelves between family room and the dining room/kitchen. One evening while watching tv we observed through the aforementioned window, the handle of a broom come dancing out of the hallway into the kitchen. It unlatched the "hook" latch and danced back into the hallway. I quickly got up and ran to look down the hallway. The scamp put the broom back into the utility room and went about his play in the kitchen. SWMBO didn't apologize......but she chuckled! :D

Mark Kelly
08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
True, I guess I should have said that I need something to 'deter' the littlest. Like Chris said, you give them a problem and they will figure a way out, even if they have to use their voice! I love the innocence of children!

I tried and searched for what you were talking about, the hook with a spring loaded latch, with no luck. I checked all the catalogs I have and even the internet. Any clue where I can find these or better yet a direct link?? I found one thing in rockler that would do the trick on a cabinet door, but this is a small gate.

Charles McKinley
08-20-2004, 9:59 AM
Hi Mark,

Try an agriculture supply store like Agway or Tractor Supply.

Hi Ken,

That storie is too funny, especially since the little one put the broom back.