PDA

View Full Version : Low Angle Jointer

Ben Davis
06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
We see posts here all the time singing the virtuosity of low angle jack planes, the Veritas version seemingly the most common. I was doing my usual perusal through the LN webiste last night and ran into their low angle jointer plane which I have not heard much about on SMC.

Does anyone have a low angle jointer? Any better than that usual No. & and No. 8 offerings? I'm looking at dropping a few nickles on a jointer coming up soon (BAD experiences on the bay).

Greg Crawford
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Ben,

I'm looking at the same jointer, with one big reason being the fence they offer. Personally, I don't know why they made it a low angle plane, as the lower angles will tear out more readily on changing grain. I intend on getting the 38 and 50 degree blades with it. I did that with their LA jack, so I'd have 2 of each blade. It really makes that plane versatile. The larger plane will make flattening panels easier, and the different blades will come in handy on figured wood.

I would also like to hear from folks that have experience with them.

Chuck Nickerson
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
A low-angle jointer has a much lower center of gravity. It really feels different when doing edge-work. I haven't yet decided which I like better, but the difference is noticeable.

Derek Cohen
06-04-2009, 1:33 PM
Hi Ben

Here is my comparison of the Veritas BUJ and a Stanley #7 (for BD).

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Lee%20Valley%20Bevel%20Up%20Jointe r.html

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tri Hoang
06-04-2009, 2:32 PM
The low angle jointer from LV does not have flat sides...it may not matter much to you but I could not use it as a straight edge to check my progress. I ended up sending it back.

Joel Goodman
06-04-2009, 2:35 PM
Just to clarify -- the OP was talking about the LN which has flat sides. Several other posters referred to the LV which does not. I have used the LN briefly at a LN event but for flattening -- not for jointing. It is a nice plane but felt a touch lighter than the LN #7 and as mentioned it has the weight a bit lower. The blade is massive -- I think 1/4" thick.

Richard Russo
06-04-2009, 3:32 PM
Hi Ben,

I'll be purchasing the L-N low angle jointer, probably within the next month. I own their low angle jack and it's great. I did get some hands-on with the jointer at their recent HTE...a very nice tool. If they offered a #8 size, I'd get that one instead. I have not used the LV jointer and don't plan to, as I don't like their stuff very much. It's not that they're inferior tools, performance-wise...they just don't feel as good in my hands and I don't think they look as nice. Just a personal preference.

Ben Davis
06-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Ben

Here is my comparison of the Veritas BUJ and a Stanley #7 (for BD).

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Lee%20Valley%20Bevel%20Up%20Jointe r.html

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek,

Great write up. Thanks for taking to time to do so. It was most helpful. I think the results with the LN BUJ would be very comparable.

Doc