PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Speed Sensor

Mike OMelia
06-04-2009, 9:58 AM
I spoke with Barry Wixey about why they do not sell an add-on sensor for shaft speed measurement. Its probably not that big of a deal to most, but he said he would put it on his list. He said also that they had experimented with the idea before (for drill presses). My guess is if there were more interest, it might get done sooner. Yes, I know about using bicycle computers to do this and I am not interested in that.

Mike

Phil Hansen
06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I am interested in something like that.
Add 1 more to the list you send to Wixey

Mike Henderson
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Mike - you mention using a bicycle computer to measure RPM and say you aren't interested in that. Is that because the bicycle computer doesn't show RPM but shows MPH or KPH? In other words, why are you not interested in using a bicycle computer? Just my curiosity.

Mike

[Or is it the mounting of the magnet that will get in the way?]

Rob Cunningham
06-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Are you looking for something like this?
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=10007715&SISRCH=2&SIS0NO=1173866&SIT4NO=64854640&SIOR=2

Mike OMelia
06-04-2009, 4:34 PM
Are you looking for something like this?
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=10007715&SISRCH=2&SIS0NO=1173866&SIT4NO=64854640&SIOR=2

I saw those before. Most seem like handheld portable devices. One looks like the right idea. But the prices are too high.

Mike, I do not like the readout. I like the price. Magnet does not bother me. So if someone would make one in the cycle type form factor with true rpm readout, I would like it much given the price. In the end, I will prolly go with the bicycle meter.

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
06-04-2009, 4:41 PM
If you are a tinkerer, there where a bazillion or so acre counters that where sold to farmers over the last 20 years or so, that GPS has made obsolete. Calc-an-acre is probably the most common one. They are just magnets and a counter computer of sorts, that calculates the acres covered by counting rpm, and it would be easy to rig one of them up on practically anything. Super cheap now too. Like free if you ask the right people.

Mike Henderson
06-04-2009, 4:52 PM
I saw those before. Most seem like handheld portable devices. One looks like the right idea. But the prices are too high.

Mike, I do not like the readout. I like the price. Magnet does not bother me. So if someone would make one in the cycle type form factor with true rpm readout, I would like it much given the price. In the end, I will prolly go with the bicycle meter.

Mike
I used to bike pretty seriously at one time. Seems I remember some of the bike computers had a crank RPM feature. You put a magnet on your left hand crank and the sensor on the seat tube and you could display crank RPM as one of the options on the display. [Side note: it was to encourage people to spin at the best RPM]. Don't know if the bike computers still do that.

Mike

Mike OMelia
06-04-2009, 6:07 PM
Well, now that you mention it, those folks that like to go "spinning" are trying to maintain optimum "crank" rpm... I will look.

Mike