PDA

View Full Version : Wixey digital fence gauge, or sticky tapes.....

Chris Harry
06-04-2009, 9:34 AM
Im currently rebuilding the fence rails for my Ridgid 4511 saw (made em longer and all one piece).

Wondering what the opinions are on the value of the Wixey fence readout vs. just buying sticky tapes. Quite a price difference, but not out of budget if the price difference is worth it.

Also note I will be adding a router extension, so it might make the digital fence readout even more worthwhile (can zero the fence readout to the router in a jiffy and be setup and ready to go).

Charles Lent
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I've had the Wixey fence gauge on my saw since shortly after they were introduced and I'm extremely please with it. You will get more reliable and repeatable positioning with the Wixey than you ever can with tape measurement. I can repeat a fence position to within a few thousandths easily and quickly with the Wixey. The Wixey is dead on, but I can't move and lock the fence any more accurately. I need to get or build a micro positioner to do any better. Still, that kind of accuracy isn't usually necessary when woodworking.

Charley

Jim Kountz
06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I have one on my Jet cabinet saw and it works as advertised. Really nice for repositioning accurately. I dont use it as much as I thought I would but its one of those things when you want it, its there.

John Thompson
06-04-2009, 1:01 PM
I prefer the self adhere Starrett tape. It gets me there but I always measure the distance form front tooth to fence manually anyway.. Always so I am no better off getting there with a digital or a simple tape.

Sarge..

glenn bradley
06-04-2009, 1:01 PM
Like Jim, I really enjoy my unit. I could certainly live without it but I do enjoy it.

Danny Hellyar
06-04-2009, 2:33 PM
Chris,
I've had a digital fence for four years now and it is much more accurate that you could ever get from just using a tape, like one of your previous posters stated, especially when doing repeatable cuts. The process I have found it to be invaluable at is when your cutting evenly spaced dadoes, since you can zero the read out after each cut. You just wouldn't be able to do that kind of math in your head without a lot of time and effort and you would almost always make a mistake if you tried. I bought mine from a Co. called Accurate Technologies a few years before Wixey came out with theirs. It's more expensive than the Wixey but built more solidly. They make aftermarket digital measurement sytems for commercial equipment.

Eric Gustafson
06-04-2009, 7:31 PM
I have used both the Wixley and the Incra positioner. While both are accurate, I prefer the Incra. Repeatability is faster and spot-on.

Leo Graywacz
06-04-2009, 7:42 PM
I have the Wixey and would hate to be without it. The repeatability that comes form it is worth its weight in gold. It has changed the way I do thing. I have the fence gauge, the height gage and the calipers. Those three tools make life so much easier in the shop. Setups are now usually a one time setup, no fine tuning. 1st try is usually all you need. I do have a problem of it losing calibration. I always use the tape to find the rough measurement and the Wixey to fine tune it in. This way if the gauge has lost its calibration I can reset it without making a bad cut.

I called the company up and told them my problem they sent me a new electronic unit without hesitation. Good customer service. It seems that a scratch on the guide is what is causing my calibration loss.

Chris Harry
06-04-2009, 7:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Turns out I found a decent deal on a new one, so I picked it up (well, its being shipped :) ).

Cant wait to add it to the new rails on the 4511.