PDA

View Full Version : Anybody up for some Guacamole?

John Sanford
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I've got a line on a nearly unlimited supply of free avocado wood. The question I have for you folks is "is it worth traveling a couple hundred miles to get it?"

How's it look, how's it turn, etc...

alex carey
06-04-2009, 2:38 AM
http://channelislandswoodturners.org/images/meeting%203-27-2004/Avocado%20bowls%20008.jpg

Freshly cut avocado crotch. Never turned it but I Googled this.

robert hainstock
06-04-2009, 8:52 AM
It is beautiful, and it is wood. So turn it already, and take a trailer too. :D:D
Bob

Jarrod McGehee
06-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Alex, you may be right but that looks more like carob as it's quite red. Avocado seems to me more of a brown color. I have a few pieces of spalted avocado that I need to turn soon. Go get it!

Christopher Fletcher
06-05-2009, 2:33 AM
I have about 70 bowl blanks in avo that I cut down from an orchard last year. Very nice wood. I will have to upload a few pictures when I get my laptop back up and running. As a side note, the cutoffs make great firewood that burns nicely. Jarrod, where did you pick up your avo? Here in the county? I just rough turned a dozen bowls last weekend. In fact they just came out of the DNA half an hour ago.

Steve Schlumpf
06-05-2009, 9:20 AM
John - if nothing else it would be different and set your turnings apart from others! Looking forward to seeing photos of your wood score - when it happens!