PDA

View Full Version : Which type of sanding machine for general shop use?

Jack Gaskins
06-03-2009, 9:29 PM
I am looking to purchase a sanding machine for my small shop. I started out looking at the 12" disc sanders then the combo belt/disc sanders and then read about the oscillating edge sanders. What types do you guys use? I dont do any heavy wood making, just some turning, some flat work and some boxes. I have read a little bit about the drum sanders but dont know what they would really be good for except sanding resawn flat boards? One other question, for those that have the Jet 12" disc sander that has two miter slots, do you use the slot that is perpendicular to the disc?

Bruce Wrenn
06-03-2009, 9:47 PM
When I make Toys for Tots cars, I use both my 12" Delta disk, and a bench top 6 X 36 combo machine (Delta also.) I also have a Delta combo machine (NIB), 9" disk, and 6 X 48 belt. I bought it at a steal from Lowes on clearance.

Michael Boyle
06-03-2009, 9:51 PM
Jack, I have both a disk and belt combo machine as well as an edge sander (in my case non oscillating). I use the edge sander much more often than I do the disk/belt machine. I just find that it is more useful and having the large belt area is great for flattening long edges. I would definitely recommend the oscillating function since it allows you to use more of your sanding area. I got such a great deal on mine, I could not justify the added cost for an oscillating one. Since you are working on boxes, I believe the Edge Sander will serve you well. I do have to mention, that these are a large piece of machinery for a small shop, If you are working on smaller items it may be more that you need. From what you described, I am not certain a drum sander would fit your needs. I have one of those as well, but I really only use it for planing small pieces to size and some multiple board edge jointing. It is a handy piece of equipment when it is needed, but if I had to have one type of sander, I would pick the edge sander.

Rick Fisher
06-03-2009, 9:51 PM
I had a 9" Belt disc sander, bought an edge sander and gave away the disc sander shortly afterwards..

I have never missed it since.

David Christopher
06-03-2009, 9:54 PM
Jack, a 6 X 48 with a 9 or 12 inch disc combo is hard to beat for general porpose......Grizzly has pretty good sanders at a good price

glenn bradley
06-03-2009, 9:54 PM
I have a belt/disc, a fixed vertical drum (dedicated DP modified) and the inexpensive but popular oscillating drum/belt machine from Ridgid. If I had to give them all up but one, I'd keep the Ridgid. Don't get me wrong; an 80" oscillating belt with a 12" disc hanging off the side would be great but, not in the space I have ;-)

Todd Burch
06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I have this 9" horizontal edge sander (http://www.powermatic.com/Products.aspx?Part=1791293&cat=332204). Awesome machine. My combo disc/belt sanders are toys compared to this momma.

Powermatic also offers a single phase version.

I can make a drawer box with dovetails or box joints, and in a matter of seconds, any long fingers are gone - and I'm talking the whole drawer box is done in seconds.

Frame and panel doors - removing any extra rail length, or "adjusting to fit" an opening - kids play.

100's of uses.

Todd

Shawn Christ
06-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I've heard this from others on the Creek and think it's excellent advice, particularly for those with smallish shops. Don't buy a tool just to have it around. Buy a tool that you need for a specific project. You may find that the tool you think you "need" now doesn't seem as necessary later. It may be too expensive for the frequency of use, or too bulky, or another tool may do the job just as well.

I've always had a small shop (and a limited budget). I started with just a handheld palm sander and belt sander. Then I got a random orbit sander. Then I found a used Ryobi bench belt/disc sander that I needed to form "biscuit" tenons on my crib slats. Then I found a used Craftsman spindle sander to use on curved parts for a mailbox and vanity project. I can see where an edge sander would be handy for dovetails and boxes. But, that's just one more tool to take up valuable floor space.

Unless the woodworking gods have massive production work in my future, I don't think I will ever have a need for one of those large drum sanders. My "lunchbox" planer will give me a reasonably finished surface on wide boards when needed. And it sits on the shelf out of the way when not needed...

Aaron Berk
06-04-2009, 12:52 AM
I have a belt/disc, a fixed vertical drum (dedicated DP modified) and the inexpensive but popular oscillating drum/belt machine from Ridgid. If I had to give them all up but one, I'd keep the Ridgid. Don't get me wrong; an 80" oscillating belt with a 12" disc hanging off the side would be great but, not in the space I have ;-)

I like mine allot, and I do all sorts of different projects, toys to cabinets. I recently tossed my 6" disk/ 36" belt combo sander out at a yard sale. I'm regretting this a bit right now, and currently searching for a good deal on a larger belt/disk combo machine. And I would use that perpendicular miter slot for a circle sanding jig.

Bill Huber
06-04-2009, 1:13 AM
I have a small shop (12x16) so I don't have a lot of room for a lot of stuff.

I bought the Ridgid sander and I really don't think I could do without it now. It is my go to machine for a lot of things.

The table will title down to a 45 degree angle and it also has a nice 3/4 in miter slot. Then changing to the drums is a snap. Dust collection could be better but its not bad.

Don Bullock
06-04-2009, 8:34 AM
First of all heed Shawn's words:

Don't buy a tool just to have it around. Buy a tool that you need for a specific project.

It is very good advice for any shop, but especially a small one.

I agree with Bill on sanders. The Rigid Oscillating Edge/belt Spindle Sander is my "goto" sander. It changes quickly from belt to spindle.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/ec/eca01d52-bd2d-4e75-9335-51f1a1489c85_300.jpg

Pat Germain
06-04-2009, 8:51 AM
I too have the Ridgid sander. That little machine rocks! And at $200, it's an amazing value.

I want to replace the fastener that holds down the spindle/belt. It's got a knob on top that gets in the way when I want to use the small rollers. But I haven't found any left-hand-threaded fasteners thus far.

Anyway, if I can find another fastener, I'll be even more thrilled with my "Little Sander that Could". :)

Prashun Patel
06-04-2009, 9:12 AM
+1 on the Rigid. I haven't used mine yet; just bought it on ebay, but every review says it's unbeatable for the price.

They had a reconditioned bunch on ebay for $176 shipped.
Or, you can sign up for the HD 'moving' club, and get a 10% coupon for it.

The Delta BOSS gets good reviews too as an oscillating spindle sander, but the thing that Rigid reviews rave about is the versatility to switch to edgesanding....

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-04-2009, 9:38 AM
I bought a cheap ($40.00) 48" belt sander and rehabilitated it. The flat disk was no good so I tossed that part.
I have that an old Makita Track sander and a couple of 1/4 sheet PC Speed Bloks.

I have contemplated the use and facility of a drum sander and tried to weigh that against a stroker. I can use both but, it's hard to get one to do what the other does well, and of course, I don't have room for both.

Drum sanders are excellent at final thicknessing (that last scosh) and at cleaning up and flattening glued up Panel construction. Just be sure there' no glue to gum up and burn on the drums.

It kills me how much money these machines cost and I can't bring myself to pay it. The last stroke sander I used was about 20 feet long. It was made in the last century by hand right in the shop where I used it. The drums were wood the bearings originally were babbit The table slid on steel rollers. The original power drive pulleys from the celieng were still there but an old electric motor drove it when I saw it. It worked flawlessly.
A stroker is supremely easy to make. Drum sanders are also so long as you are willing to limit yourself to a small scale. Many luthiers make their own for thicknessing sound boards, sides, and backs.

Jim Kountz
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Well Im a sanding fool and have the Jet 12" sander, a Performax 16-32 a Oscillating spindle sander and am looking to replace my worn out edge sander. Out of all of them I use the performax more. Not just for sanding panels but everything I do practically gets run through it at one time or another, even if its just to make sure the stock is nice and flat before further milling.
My disc sander is a must have tool for me for doing segmented turnings, truing up cuts and shaping parts. The OSS is great for curves and radiused items.
I wouldnt want to do without any of them to be honest!!

Jeff Strickler
06-04-2009, 11:54 AM
On homedepot.com, the Ridgid sander has been out of stock for at least a month now, and I notice the same thing at my local store. Anybody have any insider knowledge of whether this is just a supply chain problem or is there a new version coming out????

Kyle Iwamoto
06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I got that Delta combo from Lowe's too. Must have been the same time for clearance. It's a good machine, although it could be problematic. A lot of them have motor issues. From what I read, if it runs for a month or so, you wont have problems. They burn out really quickly. BUT, I think I'd trade it for that Ridgid any day.... Oh, it was on 75 buck clearance. Bad trade.

Jack Gaskins
06-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Well Im a sanding fool and have the Jet 12" sander, a Performax 16-32 a Oscillating spindle sander and am looking to replace my worn out edge sander. Out of all of them I use the performax more. Not just for sanding panels but everything I do practically gets run through it at one time or another, even if its just to make sure the stock is nice and flat before further milling.
My disc sander is a must have tool for me for doing segmented turnings, truing up cuts and shaping parts. The OSS is great for curves and radiused items.
I wouldnt want to do without any of them to be honest!!

What can you do with the performax sander? Haven't seen one in action. I think I am going to start out with a 12" disc sander either the Jet or the Powermatic, both of which can be purchased from ToolNut for a good price. As for the rigid sanders most have commented on, well, I had one and didn't like it. It just seemed to lite weight and felt cheapy. I dont think I need one of the combo belt/disc sanders. To bad they dont make a small version of an edge sander although the Jet looks kinda small compared to the Powermatics I have seen on the internet.?? Who knows maybe I'll just order the Jet 12" disc sander from ToolNut, they quoted me $349 shipped.

Thomas Pender
06-05-2009, 9:05 AM
I bought a 6x48, 12" disk several years ago from Wilke. Nice machine - does exactly what it should. Use the disk to sneak up on things with the miter gage and to smooth round things I have cut. But, of all the machines in my shop, I probably use it the least (Jointer wins the most use). I also bought the Rigid oscillating spindle sander. Dollar for dollar the best money I have ever spent (except for my Veritas smoother and block planes). I make lots of arts and crafts type stuff and for arches and curves, it cannot be beat! Truth be known, I have never used the belt sander part of it because I have the other one. Guess I will have to :o.

Cary Falk
06-05-2009, 9:36 AM
I have the Ridgid combo that has been mentioned many times. An edge sander works good for what I do. I am looking to upgrade to a larger edge sander.

Robert Chapman
06-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a Grizzly belt/edge sander that I use a lot for narrow surfaces and edges but I just bought a Jet 16-32 drum sander and really like it for sanding planer/jointer marks out of panels. Much less use of the ROS. If I had to prioritize I would go with just the drum sander.