PDA

View Full Version : The case for working with your hands !

Angus Hines
06-03-2009, 7:03 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=3&pagewanted=all

Curt Harms
06-03-2009, 8:01 PM
This passage from the NY Times article struck a chord with me:

"But certain perversities became apparent as I settled into the job. It sometimes required me to reason backward, from desired conclusion to suitable premise. The organization had taken certain positions, and there were some facts it was more fond of than others. As its figurehead, I was making arguments I didn’t fully buy myself. Further, my boss seemed intent on retraining me according to a certain cognitive style — that of the corporate world, from which he had recently come. This style demanded that I project an image of rationality but not indulge too much in actual reasoning."

Neal Clayton
06-04-2009, 3:23 AM
i did the corporate thing for a living once.

i now work with my hands not just for free, i pay a helper to help me build things for myself, so i actually lose money doing it, and enjoy it.

that sums up my opinion ;).

Billy Chambless
06-04-2009, 7:18 AM
This passage from the NY Times article struck a chord with me:

"But certain perversities became apparent as I settled into the job. It sometimes required me to reason backward, from desired conclusion to suitable premise. The organization had taken certain positions, and there were some facts it was more fond of than others. As its figurehead, I was making arguments I didn’t fully buy myself. Further, my boss seemed intent on retraining me according to a certain cognitive style — that of the corporate world, from which he had recently come. This style demanded that I project an image of rationality but not indulge too much in actual reasoning."

That reminds me unpleasantly of my defense contracting years.