PDA

View Full Version : 24x12 engraving

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-03-2009, 3:55 AM
I just wanted to share this. I like to experiment with different materials when engraving some of my photos.

This is a full 24" x 12" engraving done at 100% speed. I found this material at a local art supply store. Its three color board. It has orange on one side and black on the other with white in the middle.

The settings were at 10% power 100% Speed using the stucki pattern at 600DPI. The board does not yield 600 DPI but those settings seem to turn out the best.

I engrave my photos directly from Photoshop CS3 as it gives me the best results. The photoshop print driver lets you place the image anywhere on the sheet with very good precision. I set my image to 600DPI before doing any thing. I then crop and resize the image before entering the print driver. Photoshop has many options when resizing and use the Bicubic as it keeps banding at bay.

Dont use the print form to resize as it causes all kinds of banding issues much like Corel.

I engrave on the black side so you have to invert the image first so its good practice for doing inverted printing.

Once the engraving is done a light behind the will shine the orange through which gives a very cool effect. Kind of like a sunset.

Frank Corker
06-03-2009, 5:45 AM
Interesting idea.

Dan Hintz
06-03-2009, 8:17 AM
I need to see it with the light behind... :)

Peck Sidara
06-03-2009, 9:42 AM
Very nice and thanks for sharing Mike.

Jim Good
06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the material? Is it a wood product, acrylic, or what? I originally thought cardboard but talking about shining light through it makes me think it is another material.

Thanks!

Jim

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Its three layers of cardboard. I don't think its standard cardboard as it does not have that cardboard or burnt wood smell to it. Its real cheap stuff. For 4 sheets its around $5. Each sheet is 22"x28".

Albert Nix
06-04-2009, 5:23 AM
How thick is it? Is it like some sort of poster board? Sounds to cheap to be mat board.

nancy barry
06-04-2009, 6:27 AM
Dick Blick sells "Railroad Board" which is a different color on each side.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/railroad-board/
It comes in different plys and lots of colors and would meet the "very inexpensive" description. Presentation board might also work.

hth, nancyB