PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a little something this week!

Peter Luch
06-03-2009, 3:21 AM
Well I guess it is a wood gloat.....maybe???

Lemon Gum Eucalyptus.

23 ft long
40" Diameter large end (rough)
28" diameter small end (rough)

Best part was a $375 TOTAL cost to get it from the cutting location to the parking lot where I can bring in a mill or store as long as needed.

Sooooo is this a GLOAT?????? :rolleyes:

Aloha, Pete

mike holden
06-03-2009, 9:43 AM
"Sooooo is this a GLOAT??????"

NOPE - not till you get it slabbed and stickered, till then it is just a fallen tree. (grin)

PS where is this, geographically? and what do lemon gum eucalyptus boards look like?

Mike

Frank Drew
06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Peter,

If the wood is nice you could have quite a nice future stash there, but I'd suggest end coating the log ASAP, then arranging to have it sawn up and stacked and stickered not too long afterwards. In general, wood left in log form tends to check and crack, particularly in the summertime (and in the full sun).

The crotch might provide some spectacular boards or bowl material.

Peter Luch
06-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna seal it today, actually cut the one end nice beforehand and cover with a tarp but the plan is to slab it within a week and place the slabs in a kiln.
We will see what happens!

Aloha, Pete

Lawrence Nitz
06-04-2009, 5:42 AM
Pete,
I have laid a thousand feet or so of lemon gum flooring, and built a set of cabinets. It is my favorite semi-tropical wood.

The wood is heavy, and when cured, so hard that you can drop a hammer on it and not get a dent or nick. You might want to have much of it cut to 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 or 8/4 stock, rather than thicker slabs. Three and four inch slabs will be tremendously heavy and not easily resawn.

Oh, you may have sap ducts in the butt end of the log. These dry out in the kiln, creating a fantastic black striping on the wood.

Larry Nitz