PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Brass Sheet

Harry Radaza
06-03-2009, 2:59 AM
I needed to paint a brass sheet (kind of like the ones used for trophy plates) different colors and then laser away the paint leaving a colored design on the plate.

However, it seems the paint just peels off. I've used acrylic paint airbrushed or handpainted and it comes off because of the material.

Any ideas?

Rodne Gold
06-03-2009, 5:33 AM
You need to spray a clear coat first and then the colours.

Harry Radaza
06-03-2009, 6:37 AM
Ok I will try that! Clear coat, then the paint then laser away.

But.... I did already try, paint, laser then clear coat, and it still scratched off easily with a fingernail. As long as it passes the fingernail test I am happy.

Maybe the clear coat will help the paint adhere to the shiny metal so it wont scratch away? I hope so...

Rodne Gold
06-03-2009, 6:47 AM
Well the laser wont go thru the clear coat or ablate it entirely so you have a protective layer on the brass/whatever that keeps it bright and then the paint should stick well to the clear coat. Resisistance to scratching is dependant on the paint you use..but a clear coat or a quick spray with artists fixative etc should help.
It might be a good idea to run over the "metal" with a scotchpad if you dont need a bright and shiny finish so as to provide a rougher surface for the paint to key to.
Another option is to perhaps use a mask and engrave that away and then just spray the plate the colour...something like paper based vinyl sign application tape..?
Dunno how big or complex your plate is and what design goes on it..some more info would be handy tho..

Mike Null
06-03-2009, 7:00 AM
Harry

It might be easier to try prepainted engravers brass from JDS. If you need other colors they might adhere better than on plain brass. You can also buy plain engravers brass which already has the clear-coat.
(this is used for drag or mechanical engraving where the plate is oxidized)