PDA

View Full Version : New iron in jointer

Brian DeLore
06-03-2009, 2:15 AM
I just put a LN replacement iron in my Stanley jointer. This is my first new iron and also my first experience with LN. Instead of spending hours getting rid of rust and flattening the back, this iron showed uniform polish in only a few strokes on the stone. I flipped it over and put a secondary bevel on the edge. I wasn't sure what to expect from the A-2 steel on my humble oil stone but the blood coming from my finger assured me of my success. I adjusted the frog so it was flush with the back of the mouth and loosened the lever cap screw to accommodate the extra thickness. The mouth is pretty tight but I might be able to get a little more adjustment out of the frog before the iron hits the back of the mouth. I went out to the shop to find some test stock. First up was a block of poplar with a few pin knots. Cut nice ribbons and had no problems with the tiny knots.Next up was a chunk of 2x4 red oak. I waxed the sole and took progressively deeper cuts. I gave out before it did, as it seemed happy plowing 2-3/8" furrows in the board.
Did this iron improve the performance of the plane? Maybe a little, I had no problem with the original iron (Type 16). Is this a quality product that required practically no work to put into service? Hands down, yes. They are pleasant to deal with and I would not hesitate to call on them again.

Tristan Raymond
06-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I think that at some point you'll suddenly realize that the plane is working great and you can't remember the last time you honed the blade. I've recently expanded my Stanley collection and haven't put the money into new Hock blades on most of them. I find it surprising how often the blades are dull! And that's just compared to the O1 Hock blades. I just put an A2 Hock into my No. 8. If it holds an edge better than the O1 I'll be very happy.

Jim Koepke
06-03-2009, 2:22 PM
I adjusted the frog so it was flush with the back of the mouth and loosened the lever cap screw to accommodate the extra thickness. The mouth is pretty tight but I might be able to get a little more adjustment out of the frog before the iron hits the back of the mouth.

Because of the bevel on the blade, there should be plenty of room to move the frog back with out the blade hitting the mouth's edge.

I have Hock blades on both my #7 & #8 joiners.

jim

Brian DeLore
06-03-2009, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the conformation on the frog adjustment Jim, I was hoping that the bevel would give me the extra clearance, but I wasn't sure.