PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mark Singer

Cecil Arnold
08-18-2004, 12:26 AM
I had the occasion to try building some drawers using Mark's pocket screw method yesterday. It works extreamly well, even better than it sounded when he explained it. I made 6 large drawers, 23"DX35"HX10"H. The only thing I did differently, or actually added to, was to make a 90 degree jig to hold the pieces in place while I drove the screws. I'm probally an intermediate to advanced woodworker and I've never made drawers that turned out as square as these. I like this place.

Mark Singer
08-18-2004, 1:19 AM
Cecil,
Glad to here about your success with the drawers. What I did was use 2 K body type clamps per drawer and glue. This holds the sides from moving when the screws go in. Pocket screws tend to move the boards since the screw enters at an angle. It works quite well and is strong.

Mark Singer
08-18-2004, 11:47 AM
If the drawer sides are exactly the same size and the front and back are equally as precise the drawer should be very square. I use a 1/4" dado for the drawer bottom and cut the drawer back to the top of the dado. After the drawer assembly the bottoms are slid in from the back. Glue goes into the dado and the drawer bottom is nailed with brads to the drawer back. This is really what squares the drawer and gives it a lot of strength. Melamine works well since it is cleanable and does not require a finish. If it is a piece of furniture or a fine cabinet I use the more traditional methods of hand dovetailing.