PDA

View Full Version : disposable planer blade system

Bob Weisner
08-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Hi:

I read in a magazine about a disposable planer blade system that can be installed on any jointer or planer. Does anyone have any information on this type of disposable planer blade system?

Thanks,

Bob

Jamie Buxton
08-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Maybe what you heard about was Esta (http://www.estausa.com/).

I've never done a conversion, if that's what you're contemplating. However, I've owned a lunchbox thicknesser which had disposable knives, and my current jointer/planer (a 12" Hammer) has them too. I really like them. I can replace the blades and get back to woodworking quickly.

Bob Weisner
08-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Thats the one I was thinking of. I have a Jet 13 inch planer moulder and I was thinking of changing over to the disposable blade system when it came time to sharpen the blades on the Jet.

Bob

Barbara Gill
08-18-2004, 5:15 AM
We have used the Esta system on the finish planer at the sawmill for over 10 years now. It is really great especially when the knives need to be changed in the middle of a job.

Dennis Lightbourn
08-18-2004, 7:17 AM
Hi Bob,

Sorry to go a bit off of your topic, but I have a question......

"I have a Jet 13 inch planer moulder "

Is this the Jet JPM13 13" Planer/Molder Combination Machine? I am in the middle of setting up a new shop and am in the market for a few new tools. Along with a jointer and a dust collector, a planer is at the top of my list.

As a woodworking hobbyist I WANT a planer, as a general contractor I NEED a molder. Isn't it nice when the two come together!

My only concern is that this choice is not too much of a compromise over purchasing two seroprate machines, such as a W&H Molder along with a descent planer. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

By the way, this is may first post to this forum - I've been lorking for a few weeks and REALY enjoy this place!

Thanks,

Dennis

Joseph N. Myers
08-18-2004, 7:55 AM
Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. This place really loves pictures so be sure to have your camera ready.

As far as posting questions, you might have better luck making your own "thread" to get the answers you want. Click on "Saw Mill Creek", "General Woodworking and Power Tools" and then "New Thread". Your title could be something like "Need some advice on molder/planer combinations, i.e., Jet".

If you're setting up a new shop, you should do a search on SMC for related articles as there has been many. A good start is on Grizzle's shop planner, a free s/w layout tool that quite good (www.grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com), home page, top left hand side). Then there is all sorts of stuff on DC, wiring, lighting, different brands of tools, etc.

Regards, Joe

John Miliunas
08-18-2004, 8:19 AM
Hi Bob,

Sorry to go a bit off of your topic, but I have a question......

"I have a Jet 13 inch planer moulder "

Is this the Jet JPM13 13" Planer/Molder Combination Machine? I am in the middle of setting up a new shop and am in the market for a few new tools. Along with a jointer and a dust collector, a planer is at the top of my list.

As a woodworking hobbyist I WANT a planer, as a general contractor I NEED a molder. Isn't it nice when the two come together!

My only concern is that this choice is not too much of a compromise over purchasing two seroprate machines, such as a W&H Molder along with a descent planer. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Dennis, first off, welcome to the Creek! Glad you decided to jump on in and, as Joseph indicates, pics are NOT welcome....They're pretty much MANDATORY!!! :D

Anyhow, this if from the FWIW category: I happen to have both, a stand-alone planer (13" Dewalt/2-speed) and the W&H Molder. No, I'm not a contractor, though given the shape of the house we purchased, I may as well BE one! Anyhow, to the point: In most areas of interest, from stereo's, camera's, cars, woodworking or sewing, you'll find that dedicated tools for a dedicated job will most usually serve you the best. Total investment after purchasing the separates, will usually be higher than combo machines. On the other hand, you can accumulate the dedicated machines over a period of time.

As to your specific inquiry, the W&H actually IS both, a planer & molder! The planer part of it only has a 7" capacity, but would work. I say "would" work, because I have no intention of using it for that! Setting up for molding is not difficult, but still time consuming. I would much rather leave that setup on the molder and plane & dimension separately to get stock ready for the molder by some other machine(s). More efficient and more consistent results. Just MHO, of course.... In the meantime, enjoy your stay at the Creek! Come often and stay long! :) (And don't forget the pics! :D ) :cool:

Bob Weisner
08-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Dennis:

The Jet Planer Moulder is a combination machine that can be used as either a planer or as a moulding machine. I just use it as a planer because I have never needed to make molding. I like the jet planer moulder because of its extra power when compared to a benchtop planer. I had a Ryobi AP-12 that planed alot of wood for several years, but I think the Jet has much more power when compared to the Ryobi. I have the enclosed base model of the Jet . I originally bought the open stand model of the Jet, but when I got it home and unpacked it , both sides of the planer were completley caved in. It looked like had fallen off the boat during shipping from the factory. I called the dealer and he replaced it the very same day. I ended up getting the enclosed stand version of the planer molder for the same price as the open planer because that was all he had in stock. My only complaint with the planer is that it seems to clog up sometimes when I am planing Pine.

Bob.

Dennis Lightbourn
08-19-2004, 6:55 AM
Thank you all for the responces and the welcome. I've got a few weeks before I'll be ready for the planer so there is time for a little more reserch and thought.

As for pictures, my little shop, a 12x24 detached building, is "almost" ready - maybe next week........

Tim Sproul
08-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Bob,

I got the ESTA system after changing planer knives, once. The ESTA or similar systems are great! Quick, jig free knife changes. The other nice thing about having relatively quick and easy knive changes is that you'll actually change knives for the situation. Granted, it isn't very often....but sometimes you'll want a set of fresh cutting edges for a really tear-out prone board.....and other times you'll want to put in some knives on their last legs because you've got to surface some boards that are literally dirty....save the good cutting edges for regular work and put in some worn out cutting edges to skip plane until the dirt is removed. Then switch back to sharp cutters.