PDA

View Full Version : how to mount cork bottle stoppers?

tody Brock
06-02-2009, 9:11 PM
I have turned several bottle stoppers using the metal and o-ring stoppers that just screw into the bottom of the turning. Can someone please explain how you fasten a cork to your turned wood?

George Clark
06-02-2009, 9:16 PM
Drill the cork, drill the wood, join with a short length of dowel glued into each one.

George

Brian George
06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Using a 3/8" bit, drill into your unturned block of wood about 1/2" and glue in a 3/8" wood dowel (maple or birch, etc)I use the fluted ones to hold extra glue. Craft Supply USA, and others I am sure, has pre-drilled corks. There are two grades of cork stoppers, regular and FLOR grade. I wouldn't use anything but the FLOR. A little more expensive, but a much better quality cork and not as brittle. I use super glue (CA) put on dowel and twist on cork. I put a dab of CA on the wood/cork joint and hold 'til dry.

Bernie Weishapl
06-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Ditto what Brian said. I do the same as he does.

Brian George
06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Cut off the dowel with a saw and grind the end flat thereby sealing the wood.
You can use the dowel in the unturned block as your mandrel however, be careful not to be too aggressive with the cut or the dowel will twist off. CUSA, and others, have threaded mandrels.
Good luck and be sure and post some pix.

Rasmus Petersen
06-03-2009, 4:27 AM
the way i do this is simmilar to brians. Drill square block 2 cm up. Glue in dowel i use 10mm Beech dowles straight ribbed.

when i turn them i grip in pinjaws and use the tailstock until the last moment. Sand, EEE and frichion polish.

I Just push my cork on the dowel (tight fit) and cut/sand bottom.

Thats it.. complete time all in all a pice. 8-13 minuts..