PDA

View Full Version : I hate those little thumb screws.......

Bill Huber
06-02-2009, 9:09 PM
I have a Jet band saw and all the adjustment screws are those little thumb screws. I don't really have that much of a problem with the ones on top but the ones on the bottom are not as easy to get to. You tighten them down and then when you go to loosen them you can't get them loose and have to use a small wrench

The 2 that hold the block on the under side are really hard for me to get to and tighten them while getting the blocks set just right.

So when I had the template pin (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18055&filter=band%20saw) on last week it hit me, I replaced all of the thumb screws with set screws and use a ball headed, screw drive type allen wrench to tighten them, M16x 3/4 inch.

Man is that sooooo much better, I can see to set the blocks and make sure they are were they need to be when I tighten them. It is faster also, must a twist of the wrest and that's it.

The wrench sets in a magnetic little flashlight holder I had and is right there when I need it.

119836 119837

jim sauterer
06-02-2009, 9:19 PM
bill great idea i have a jet 18 inch those thumbscrews are a pain.i will have to check into it.thanks jim

Bill Huber
06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
bill great idea i have a jet 18 inch those thumbscrews are a pain.i will have to check into it.thanks jim

I ordered the screws form Small Parts, they have just about anything like that you want.

http://www.smallparts.com/

Phil Thien
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Just a note that it is easy to put too much torque on those pot-metal castings and break 'em right out. I have seen reports of this at owwm.org, and one suggestion to replace set screws w/ thumb screws or cap screws to avoid the problem.

I don't see using the set screws as being a problem as long as you're careful to avoid over tightening.

Bill Huber
06-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Just a note that it is easy to put too much torque on those pot-metal castings and break 'em right out. I have seen reports of this at owwm.org, and one suggestion to replace set screws w/ thumb screws or cap screws to avoid the problem.

I don't see using the set screws as being a problem as long as you're careful to avoid over tightening.

Good point, I guess that is were your brain needs to kick in.
I think its like a lot of things, if you use your head a little you can do a lot of things but if you just go at it like a bull in a china shop then you will screw something up for sure.

Chris Harry
06-03-2009, 8:09 AM
Still havent gotten around to ordering them, but McMaster.com has some "thumb screw handles" that slip onto the heads of socket cap screws. They seem to have more surface area to grip than the standard metal thumb screws.

I have a bunch of socket cap screws on my bandsaw and Incra products. Id rather convert AWAY from them, its just a pain having to use a separate tool to loosen them.