PDA

View Full Version : PM 8" jointer ?

Michael Wildt
06-02-2009, 7:14 PM
Hi,

I got a chance, no idea if it's gone yet, to get a 8" PM jointer, see picture. No info on it other than price is $450 and that it has a new 120/220v Leeson single phase motor. Currently configured to run 220V.

Any one know if this is worth investing in ? I do like the 8" width, and 120V, but I'm not familiar with older PM jointers nor the motor name.

Thanks
Michael

Bill Wyko
06-02-2009, 7:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's American Iron. Should be a great tool for decades to come with a new motor.

Chris Rosenberger
06-02-2009, 7:20 PM
That is a very good price on that jointer. It looks to be in very good condition.

Todd Burch
06-02-2009, 7:21 PM
That's a great joiner at a very fair price. I sold my old green PM 8" joiner for $450, and that was a very cheap price for what that machine could do. (It had a Baldor 220V motor)

Todd

Travis Porter
06-02-2009, 8:28 PM
I drooled over one of those for years. That is an excellent price for an excellent jointer in my opinion. The fence was much superior to a DJ-20 as it had heavier support andvery litle flex.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-02-2009, 9:34 PM
That's a good price on a great jointer. Go for it!

Michael Wildt
06-02-2009, 9:40 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I e-mailed the seller earlier so now we have to wait.

Michael

Carroll Courtney
06-02-2009, 9:54 PM
You will be lucky if its not sold yet.Usually they run 600+,it being the gold series here in Houston there is one on the bay for 800 of the same vintage.I wish I would have found Todds,450 is well worth it!!Carroll

george wilson
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I do not advise buying a new one made in Asia by that name. Our millwork shop bought one.The tables were not parallel with each other by a very significant amount,like 1/8" out of parallel. Other than stacking it full of shims to fall out,not a lot could be done about it.

Michael Wildt
06-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Just got the reply that it already sold. Bummer. Guess I'll keep looking.

Is there other 8" jointers out there that runs 120V ?

Michael

Jacob Griffith
06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. Anyway, when did Powermatic switch from the green paint to the gold paint?

Chris Rosenberger
06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. Anyway, when did Powermatic switch from the green paint to the gold paint?

I believe it was 1980.

Joe Jensen
06-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi,

I got a chance, no idea if it's gone yet, to get a 8" PM jointer, see picture. No info on it other than price is $450 and that it has a new 120/220v Leeson single phase motor. Currently configured to run 220V.

Any one know if this is worth investing in ? I do like the 8" width, and 120V, but I'm not familiar with older PM jointers nor the motor name.

Thanks
Michael

Very good price on a great jointer. I sold the one I bought new in 1990. Sold the first day for $750.

Michael Wildt
06-10-2009, 5:36 PM
Hi,

CL has another 8" jointer, a G1018HW for $400. I'm not that familiar with Grizzly other than what I have read on this forum. Any comments on this model ? is it a fair price if the machine has been well kept ?

Thanks
Michael

Jeff Miller
06-10-2009, 5:53 PM
I gave $400.00 for mine, only difference is the one you are looking at has hand wheels. If it's in good shape go get it................................................ ......... if it's still there.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f32/woodfarmer/GRIZZLY/Harley021.jpg

JEFF:D

Michael Wildt
06-10-2009, 6:22 PM
Hi Jeff,

Yeah, that was the problem last time I tried this CL thing. This time I'm #2 on the list so there is a tiny bit more hope 8-)

How do you like yours ? I assume you're running it on 220V since it appears to be prewired for that.

I'm planning on checking flatness and then check if the fence is accurate. Any other suggestions other than running it and check for vibrations ?

Thanks
Michael

Jeff Miller
06-10-2009, 8:58 PM
Check it out just like you said,mine is running on 220V.

The fit and finish and quality of the machine really impressed me.

Soon after I got it I put a Grizzly Index Spiral Cutterhead in it for $293.00 and man what a difference in smoothness and it runs really quiet too,not that the original cutter head was bad but this was a worthwhile upgrade.

Cutterhead looks like thishttp://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/h/h7654.jpg

And I'd like to thank the CS department at Grizzly. The tech guys answered questions about the jointer that I had even before I bought it;)

GOOD LUCK

JEFF:D

Michael Wildt
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
That is a nice upgrade for sure.

Looks like I might get lucky. The owner is letting me check it out tonight since the previous caller failed to commit. I talked with Grizzly about converting it to 120V should be easy IF the motor is dual voltage. He said some were 220V only, so that is something I have to check on.

Any recommendations on how to lift it ? I will get friend to help with his truck and we will take the base off. Not sure if it is safe to lift in each end of the table ?

Michael

Bruce Page
06-12-2009, 2:56 PM
Michael, that's way too much money for that piece o junk.
Where's it at? :D

Jeremy Brant
06-12-2009, 8:29 PM
That is a nice upgrade for sure.

Looks like I might get lucky. The owner is letting me check it out tonight since the previous caller failed to commit. I talked with Grizzly about converting it to 120V should be easy IF the motor is dual voltage. He said some were 220V only, so that is something I have to check on.

Any recommendations on how to lift it ? I will get friend to help with his truck and we will take the base off. Not sure if it is safe to lift in each end of the table ?

Michael

I bought a 1018 recently as well (paid 375). The way I moved it is this: take the back cover off, loosen the bolts holding the motor platform in place. Take the belt guard off. Lift the motor platform and slip the belts off. Remove the 3 bolts holding the jointer to the cabinet. With a helper, it's not too bad to lift the jointer into the bed of a pickup, and move the cabinet separately. Reverse process in your shop. The manual is downloadable at grizzly's web site to show you all this as well. If it needs new blades (mine did), I found them at globaltooling.com.

Michael Wildt
06-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the pointers on how to take it apart. That will indeed :D come handy since I'm picking it up tomorrow morning with help from a good friend.

The owner was a nice lady who was into woodworking in the past. She took good care of it since it is basically brand new. It will need to be tuned up after the move and potentially new blades. I also need to get an electrician to provide some juice for it.

Jeremy, how was those new blades ? One thing I noticed was that the cut was a little wavy. I think it was just adjustment or wear.

Michael

Eric Larsen
06-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi,

Thanks
Michael

I have the green version of this jointer. It passes the "nickle on its side" test. Very smooth and not at all hard to tune up.

Harold Shay
06-13-2009, 5:11 PM
I bought a use one and it was sitting for a while. It had a vibration and when I checked the belts they had been in that position of off so long they just danced. New belts from Griz fixed this right up. Hope you were able to get it. Tooooo bad about the pm. that would have been a great machine.

george wilson
06-13-2009, 5:38 PM
I got a Grizzly 8" for the shop where I worked. It was their cheapest model WITH handwheels. It turned out to be dead accurate,and not very expensive. I have very accurate master straight edges to test tables out with. It was no more than .001" out of parallelism.

Dave Wagner
06-13-2009, 5:56 PM
I just picked up a bunch of tools, and one was a Delta (37-190) 6" jointer, needs some TLC (Clean up work, adjusted, cleaned, etc.. but seems to work great! Had to make my own guard, the one on it was broke off from the PO (Previous owner) moves, the movers broke it. I just made it out of wood and painted it orange. Be good enough to get started on it. Never used one before...So far, ran a few boards thru it and come out nice and parallel.

Chip Lindley
06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Ya gotta be Quick on deals like that one! By the time you get *good advice* in these forums, some guy who read the *good advise* last time (or has experience in used machinery) scarfs up the bargain! Better luck next time!