PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat

Belton Garvin
06-02-2009, 4:40 PM
I picked up this delta joiner off of craigslist yesterday for $20. Not sure how old it is but everything moves smoothly. It has a 1hp 1725 RPM motor driving it. It has some surface rust and hasn't been used in quite a while but with a little elbow grease I think I can have her looking like new.

I will probably build a new stand as the current stand is a little bulky and doesn't have a dust collection setup.

What do you think...good deal? I think it is.

Myk Rian
06-02-2009, 4:46 PM
For $20? You suck.
Should be a good little project and money maker when done.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 4:49 PM
prolly worth that much in scrap
You didn't do too badly at all.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-02-2009, 5:34 PM
That was pre-dust collection days. You lucked out. I'd drop a 20 on that ANY day. If the motor runs, a slow speed vintage motor is worth more than that.

If I were you, I'd make do with the "stand" and just drill a 4" collection hose outlet, close up the base. Looks good to me.

george wilson
06-02-2009, 5:40 PM
That is a good jointer. It is a pretty early one from the old Delta logo. It looks like everything is there. You don't want to be buying their"Historic Parts". I can't see the cutterhead. Are the gibs in it? I am certain you should squirt some liquid wrench on the gib screws,and let them soak for a few days before you try to loosen them. usually you have to take a GOOD wrench,and grind it a bit thinner to get at the gib screws. The stamped out Delta wrenches never were much good,and always sprung open,or a jaw broke off.

You can still get replacement gib screws,but they will want the model and serial number of the jointer. Buy extras,and ALWAYS put liquid wrench on them and soak before trying to remove them,even after you've cleaned the machine.

I had a litttle jointer that size for many years.

Jim Kountz
06-02-2009, 5:41 PM
Hey Belton, nice buy for a 20 spot. I dont see how you could go wrong with that one!!

Roger Newby
06-02-2009, 5:49 PM
Some people are dipped in stuff and still smell like a rose..........good job.:D:D

Roger

Bob Fraser
06-02-2009, 5:49 PM
And after all those years it still has the guard on it, so many people of that era took them off - (first thing my dad would do) , much less worry about dust collection!

bob

Bill Houghton
06-02-2009, 6:16 PM
great tool, built back when the cost-cutting engineers weren't allowed in the door.

My biggest frustration is that the bed's a bit short. You might, with all the money you saved ($20! Geez! I paid over $100 for mine, though I overpaid a little), buy a couple of roller stands, one for each end, to support the wood.

I notice it has the obligatory circular rust stain from a paint can. No old jointer is complete without one of those.

Belton Garvin
06-02-2009, 6:26 PM
Thanks guys, The guy actually listed it last week for $50, but I guess he didn't get any takers(lucky for me). I will get to dive deeper into it in a few weeks to see if there are any issues with the gib screws. The blades seem pretty sharp and didn't have any visible nicks in them. I started it up before I bought it and ran a 2x4 through it for a check. It threw out some nice thin shavings at 1/8" and the 2x4 came out smooth. It has an adjustment all the way to 1/2"? I can't imagine ever having/wanting to set the cutter that deep.

The biggest reason for the cabinet re-build will be to try and slim it up a little for space savings. The main reason it is so wide is that the way the motor has to be mounted it doubles the depth of the cabinet. I wouldn't mind getting a motor that rotates the other way so I could mount it directly under the joiner. That will probably have to come quite a bit down the road.

Mike Langford
06-02-2009, 6:49 PM
Yep! Can't go wrong for $20 bucks........

.....Great find!

Joe Mioux
06-02-2009, 9:30 PM
Congrats! that is a dandy little planer. I could see having something like that set up for small stuff.

$20? wow!

joe

Andy Bardowell
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
What tha! I never see stuff like that on the Toronto Craigslist, now that’s a gloat.

Dell Moore
06-03-2009, 6:45 AM
If that isn't the same joiner I have, it's extrememly close. It's a GREAT jointer. You will be VERY pleased when you get it up and running. Flip it over and make sure the bolts on the adjustment screws are set properly. Mine gave me some trouble until I got that straightend out. Now it works like a dream.

You can get a manual for it over at www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com)

of course, I got mine for free... $20.00... *puhshaw* :D

Then again, I'd pay $20.00 just for that blade guard at this point. GREAT BUY!

Rod Sheridan
06-03-2009, 8:57 AM
[QUOTE=Belton Garvin;1147246]T. It has an adjustment all the way to 1/2"? I can't imagine ever having/wanting to set the cutter that deep.

QUOTE]

Hi Belton, nice steal.

The 1/2" depth of cut goes hand in hand with the rebating ledge on your jointer, so that rebates up to 1/2" deep could be cut with the jointer.

Regards, Rod.