PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic pressure......GRRRRRRRRR!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm at the point in making Norm's Martha Washington's candle stand where I turned the 4 spindles and assembled the "bird cage".

The bird cage consists of basically 2 plates of cherry 4 3/4" square. Each plate has 4 holes near each corner for the spindles that goe 1/2 through the 3/4" thick cherry plate and the top plate has a hole on opposing sides to be filled with a dowel and act as a hinge for the tilting top.

I dry fitted the spindles several times and the two tops aligned beautifully producing a nice square "bird cage". Each spindle has a 3/8" turned dowel end at each end that goes into a corresponding 3/8" hole on the square plates.

When I glued them up and even with clamps...there were slight gaps at the ends of the spindles that weren't there in the dry fittings. The gaps were approximately 1/32". GRRRRR.

Do you normally allow for hydraulic pressure by making the hole larger than the dowel? If so, how much?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Steve Leverich
06-02-2009, 1:02 PM
Ken, probably just a light groove along the turned dowel - I've not seen any pre-made glue dowels (the short ones) that didn't have some sort of relief cut into the dowel... Steve

Joe Scharle
06-02-2009, 1:05 PM
I always bore them deeper to create a glue 'well'. BTW, I saw that program. You should have a beautiful piece when you're done.

Rod Sheridan
06-02-2009, 1:54 PM
Hi Ken, yes you have to leave extra depth in blind holes, or a relief groove in the dowel.........Rod.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2009, 3:14 PM
I dunno if you have any "commercial" made dowels but most of them are fluted or spiraled in some fashion. None are solid chunks of wood...all are relieved in some fashion for the exact reason you site. One can make a "too perfect" fit and air or liquid cannot escape. Dominos are also relieved.

Live and learn...I'm learning constantly!!! Unfortunately, some times it is the hard way.... :(