PDA

View Full Version : Missing pennies

Lee Schierer
06-02-2009, 12:10 PM
For years, I have embedded a penny of the current year in an inconspicuous location on all my woodworking projects so that folks can tell what year they were made in. Normally the new pennies come out in late February or early March. It is now June and I have yet to see any 2009 pennies and the Banks haven't either. Supposedly there is a 100th anniversary edition of the Lincoln Penny being minted for this year, but apparently none have reached circulation. Apparently there is brisk business on ebay selling rolls of the new ones for outlandish amounts.

Has anyone seen any 2009 pennies? None have reached north west PA yet.

Todd Burch
06-02-2009, 12:12 PM
So, what you are saying is, here it is June, and this is the first piece you've made this year?!!!!! (And no, my eyes aren't good enough to read dates on pennies any more without readers)

glenn bradley
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I have used a few 2009 pennies. I just used one last night on a small box so they are out there.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
I just use a permanent marker to put down info someone might care about...should any of my furniture last longer than 20 years. ;)

Julian Nicks
06-02-2009, 1:00 PM
Why not step up and use a nickel?

David G Baker
06-02-2009, 1:14 PM
Lee,
I got a couple the other day, they are a little different but don't remember how.
When I lost a critter I would bury a silver coin with the year of the death on it with the critter.

curtis rosche
06-02-2009, 1:26 PM
sand the date off a few pennies and stamp or engrave the date your self

Lee Schierer
06-02-2009, 1:38 PM
So, what you are saying is, here it is June, and this is the first piece you've made this year?!!!!! (And no, my eyes aren't good enough to read dates on pennies any more without readers)

No, I have several projects I need to deliver and can't finish them for the lack of a penny!

Why not step up and use a nickel?

I picked a penny because it isn't worth much and no one will take the time to dig it out. Higher denominations might get removed. Besides, I haven't seen and 2009 nickels either.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 2:05 PM
I have a roll of 100, 2009 pennies I'll sell for $368.25 plus shipping and handling. I can get you a second roll for $150.00 more.
Time is limited and I'm selling out fast so CALL NOW~!!

Be wary of E-bay sellers of pennies when you can't even get one from the bank.

They are either planning to steal your money or just sit on it till the pennies start issuing and then send you your rolls for which you will have overpaid.

Here http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=35238&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10156&top_category=10156
The Treasury will sell you pennies. They are however saying that there are delays of up to 5 weeks.

Richard M. Wolfe
06-02-2009, 3:02 PM
I also put a penny in the things I make but have been known to forget doing it and haven't lost sleep over it yet. Also at the first part of the year, until I get them in change, I don't worry with it. I have asked at the bank and locally they said they don't get coinage any differently than anyone else - I was advised to go to Wal-Mart and ask a cashier. For those who don't, the use of a penny is more or less traditional rather than some other coin. I guess it has to do with 'lucky penny'. Plus the fact a 3/4" forstner bit makes just the right recess size. :D

Lee Schierer
06-02-2009, 3:14 PM
I have a roll of 100, 2009 pennies I'll sell for $368.25 plus shipping and handling. I can get you a second roll for $150.00 more.
Time is limited and I'm selling out fast so CALL NOW~!!

It would have to be a non-standard roll if it has 100 pennies :D

Randy Cohen
06-02-2009, 4:28 PM
but it would last twice as long

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 4:45 PM
but it would last twice as long

And at $365.25 it is one super bargain~!!!

CALL NOW while supplies last~!!

Jason Hallowell
06-02-2009, 7:20 PM
I just asked my Wife if she'd seen the new pennies, and she said she just got 3 of them today. I looked through my change jar and found one more. If 4 will tide you over, PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail tomorrow.

When I make fly fishing rods I put coins in the butt. I typically use a coin from the birth year of whoever it's going to. Never thought of doing the same with my furniture though, good idea.

Keith Outten
06-02-2009, 8:40 PM
I got one of the new pennies a couple of days ago. You can't miss the log cabin on the reverse side of the coin.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
If 4 will tide you over, PM me your address and I'll drop them in the mail tomorrow.

This is tortuous interference with contract. I had a $365.25 sale pending ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ didn't I?

Randal Stevenson
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
You need to start asking people for the penny they offer for your thoughts.:D

Michael Weber
06-02-2009, 10:24 PM
You need to start asking people for the penny they offer for your thoughts.:D

So much for me getting any pennies :rolleyes:

sean m. titmas
06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
i like the idea of dating a piece with a hidden coin and will use it on my next chair project but come on Lee, a penny?
why not use a silver dollar, gold dollar or a Sacajawea coin?

Jason Hallowell
06-03-2009, 12:34 AM
This is tortuous interference with contract. I had a $365.25 sale pending ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ didn't I?

The 4 is just to tide him over until your deal is all settled.

Lee Schierer
06-03-2009, 1:20 PM

It isn't a deal until the handshake occurs. I have several better offers pending on ebay, CL and my new friend in Rohdesia who will send me a milion pennies as soon as I send him my bank account numbers. :eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-03-2009, 5:19 PM
It isn't a deal until the handshake occurs. I have several better offers pending on ebay, CL and my new friend in Rohdesia who will send me a milion pennies as soon as I send him my bank account numbers. :eek:

Don't deal with that Rhodesian chick~!! There isn't even a place named Rhodesia any more. I know, I blew it up.
SWAPO, SWAPO-D, The Rhodesian Freedom League of Rhodesia ~ ~ ~
That place needed a good blowing up.

I have a REAL 26 year old African Princess I'll introduce you to and she's smokin' hot.
She needs to hide a few billion dollars and you can keep the interest it earns.

John Schreiber
06-03-2009, 6:28 PM
I'm in the same place as Lee. I've delivered some undated pieces this year because I haven't been able to find any 2009 pennies. I've thought about calling the coin shop here in town, but I just need standard stock, not proofs.

I've used pennies for a long time to mark my stuff. After all - I live in the "Land of Lincoln."

Trivia fact. The US Treasury does not make pennies. They make cents.

Chris Padilla
06-03-2009, 6:53 PM
Trivia fact. The US Treasury does not make pennies. They make cents.

I dunno...they never made any cents to me.... ;)

Rich Bybee
06-04-2009, 4:34 PM
I've never heard of this process of hiding a penny in a wood project... How hidden is it??

Is it buried in a joint and visible only if the piece is destroyed?
Or is it more like drilling into a normally unseen surface (underside of a table) and glueing the penny in a hole? Thus the penny can be seen at any time just by flipping the item upside down.

Thanks

Lee Schierer
06-04-2009, 4:39 PM
i like the idea of dating a piece with a hidden coin and will use it on my next chair project but come on Lee, a penny?
why not use a silver dollar, gold dollar or a Sacajawea coin?

Over time, people will remove a coin of that value. No one will go through the trouble to pry out a penny. Some of my projects are made for kids, You think a kid would leave a buck in a toy that he doesn't play with any more?

John Schreiber
06-04-2009, 6:09 PM
I've never heard of this process of hiding a penny in a wood project... How hidden is it??

Is it buried in a joint and visible only if the piece is destroyed?
Or is it more like drilling into a normally unseen surface (underside of a table) and glueing the penny in a hole? Thus the penny can be seen at any time just by flipping the item upside down.

Thanks
For me, I use a Forstner bit to drill a 3/4" hole just a little deeper than a penny is thick, then squirt in some 5 minute epoxy and stick it. I also usually carve my initials very small next to the penny. Typically it's on a hidden back or bottom. For my workbench, if I can ever get a 2009 penny, it will be right up front.

Jim Becker
06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
I suspect they are not over-anxious to produce too many of them since they cost more than a penny to make!