PDA

View Full Version : Any metal lathe experts near Katy, Texas?

Todd Burch
06-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I've acquired an old Sears Craftsman Atlas metal lathe, circe 1942, with what seems to be all attachments and accessories, plus lots of homemade tooling. I have no idea how to use this thing, or what to do to even set it up. I think it has a 42" bed - a big heavy moose.

Anyone in the area with experience with this lathe, or metal lathe setup in general that wouldn't mind coming over and assessing this thing for me? I'd be happy to trade out your time for lunch or whatever.

Thanks, Todd

(I thought I had a picture of it - but I don't. But, these are some of the other tools (etc) I got at the same time: http://www.burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/Old%20Tools/Old%20Tools.html)

Kyle Kraft
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I have a lathe just like that except mine doesn't have the quick change gearbox. You might find the Jacob chuck works better for drilling when inserted into the tailstock! That way you can mount a workholding chuck on the spindle.

Looks like you hit the tool jackpot. The stuff looks like it was well cared for.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Lottsa cool stuff you have there, Todd!

David G Baker
06-02-2009, 1:40 PM
Todd,
You have entered a whole new world that will suck your wallet dry, keep you up nights visualizing all of the things you can make with it, and if you get hooked hard you may even have to start a 12 step program. Sorta like woodworking :D
Don't know how much you paid for all your goodies but you made a killing if half of the tools work.
I have a Southbend 10" heavy duty tool room lathe and love it but frequently wish I had a larger lathe.
The Internet has a lot of information about lathes and how to use them. There were tons of the Craftsman lathe made so you shouldn't have any problems getting parts. I belong to a Southbend site similar to SMC but not a fraction as good SMC.
I suggest that you take a trip to your local library and get some basic information so you can ask intelligent questions in the event that a local visits you to help.
I never attempted to use the older style tool holders, I went straight to the KDK quick change tool holders because I could shape the cutters easier and quicker.
I am by far no expert and my tolerances are, cut it until it fits, but I can get the job done if high quality isn't needed.
I actually am more interested in working with metal than I am wood but my hobbies rotate as the need arises.
Welcome the world of metal slivers. :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 2:16 PM
If it is the same as these pics:
http://www.wheatfarm.com/atlas_lathe/index.html'
Then you have a hell of a nice little lathe.

You can chase threads on that thing.

Found this.
http://www.quarterbore-inc.com/atlaslathecd.htm

Pick up yourself a copy of "Machinery's handbook" Don't fret about publish date. Get an old one.

Roger Newby
06-02-2009, 3:22 PM
Hey Todd,
If you have a Community College nearby check and see if they offer any Machine Tool courses. That's how I got started back in 1974 and I've been a Tool & Die Maker for 26 years now. Working metal is an entirely different critter than woodworking. That's why I enjoy woodworking so much....the metalworking (my job) buys the lumber.:D

Roger

Mike Wilkins
06-02-2009, 3:44 PM
Try homeshopsupply.com. There is a wealth of info here, as well as a parts source for these older smaller metal lathes.

Todd Burch
06-03-2009, 9:52 AM
I do have the original manual for the lathe. It's titled "Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables" copyright Atlas Press Company, 1937.

I also took some pictures. See here: http://www.burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/AtlasLathe/index.html
(Ignore the wood lathe parts I stuck in the drawer (toolrest, etc.)

Todd

Chris Padilla
06-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Looks like fun and great find. I hope one day to have the ROOM for a metal lathe. I got to use a metal lathe (and a large Bridgeport mill) for a few summers during my undergrad and boy are they handy tools to have. You can fix and make just about anything with those two tools and after my experience, I vowed to one day get both machines in my own shop....

Jason Hallowell
06-03-2009, 11:06 AM
I love old metal lathes, and wish I were closer. Look for an old copy of "How to Run a Lathe" by Southbend. Even though it was published more than 50 years ago, it is still one of the best books for learning the basics. There are several places it can be downloaded online. Metal lathes can be very dangerous, so be careful messing around with it before you've learned a little about how it operates.

Rob Cunningham
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Todd,
Metal lathes are fun to use but can be dangerous. Metal chips are sharp and hot. Watch out for the long stringy ones that curl off the metal. They can wrap around fingers and do a lot of damage fast. Safety glasses are a must.
I'm not trying to scare you, just warn you of potential dangers. Check to see if the local vo-tech school has a night course. I'm not near you but if you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.