PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you saw one of these????

Mitchell Andrus
06-02-2009, 9:10 AM
MIL never throws anything away. She's of the generation that thinks if you loose your copy of the deed, you loose your house.

Note the amount. $5.67. That would have included the rental of the phone.

Also, it says "Date of Bill", not "Due By:".

Lance Norris
06-02-2009, 9:56 AM
Mitchell... I dont remember the bills from that era because I was young. I do remember when your phone number started with letters and you could call anyone on your local exchange by simply dialing the last 4 numbers. We also had a party line with several of the neighbors. I collect old telephones, especially the Ericofon. Here are a couple of pics that might make someone smile. I built the headboard and nightstands with a circular saw and hand tools years ago before I had any real power tools. The nightstand pics were right after I finished the assembly and didnt have any poly on them yet, thats why the color is different.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 10:42 AM
While it is unremarkable that a bill from 1967 might have been stashed and resurrected (or is the better term Exhumed?) what is remarkable is it's condition.

It's also remarkable that the Phone company was so confident in theUSPS that they'd send a punch card through the mail with the firm conviction that it'd arrive un-mangled.

Tom Godley
06-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I remember them! That was cutting edge in 1967!

When I was in school -- all of our computer classes were done on cards.

In fact we used them in the accounting department well into the late 80's

Eric Larsen
06-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Mitchell... I dont remember the bills from that era because I was young. I do remember when your phone number started with letters and you could call anyone on your local exchange by simply dialing the last 4 numbers.

I miss four digit dialing. In my hometown there are still people that just say the last four numbers if you ask them for their phone number.

Jim O'Dell
06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
I remember saying your phone number as "Federal 2, 6717, or Fe2 6717. Don't remember only dialing 4 digits though. I think I remember the computer punch cards bills though. Definately remember the computer punch cards for computer work. Jim.

Joe Cunningham
06-02-2009, 11:30 AM
When I was in school -- all of our computer classes were done on cards.

I voted with them in California in the 2000 election. This was in Silicon Valley, the 'capital' of the tech industry, which I thought was rather ironic.

Todd Burch
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I still have a stack of punch cards, along with a punch card gauge! I used to write love notes to my girlfriend (now my wife of 21 years) back when we were dating. She still has them in a shoebox somewhere.

Todd

Judy Kingery
06-02-2009, 12:26 PM
That's a fun blast from the past; I remember my Aunt's phone number was "Lincoln 3717." But you had to dial all seven digits. Everyone had the same prefix and we did indeed have party lines. Interesting!

Jude

Jim Rimmer
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
I remember saying your phone number as "Federal 2, 6717, or Fe2 6717. Don't remember only dialing 4 digits though. I think I remember the computer punch cards bills though. Definately remember the computer punch cards for computer work. Jim.

I guess I'm older or have a better memory. I remember picking up the phone (which was permanently mounted to the wall) and hearing the operator ask, "Number, please." Then it was a 4 digit and one alpha (ours was 5359J). Many houses built in ther 50s also had a little phone niche built into the wall, usually in a hallway. :cool:

Stephen Tashiro
06-03-2009, 6:33 AM
One of the "puzzler's" on the "Car Talk" radio program involved a person brining an appliance to a repair shop. The clerk remarks that he hasn't seen one of these things in years and that it used to be illegal to own them.

When did it become legal to own telephones? It seems silly, but I can remember reading various notices from the telephone company that stated the phone wasn't really your property etc.

Mike Sheppard
06-03-2009, 7:11 AM
I recall turning a crank to get the operator or crank out their code to get someone on our party line. I must be old.
Mike

Curt Harms
06-03-2009, 8:57 AM
One way of keeping up with the doings in the neighborhood. Each phone had a different ring sequence of long and short duration rings. It goes without saying that each household had one number. This was rural Wisconsin.

Frank Guerin
06-03-2009, 7:36 PM
I believe our first number was two shorts and a long but I don't remember much. In fact I still have one of the old hand cranks hanging on the wall.

If you were real sneaky they were good at ringing up catfish too.