PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Jason Clark2
06-02-2009, 2:08 AM
I have the opportunity to submit a maximum of 3 pieces into a local art museum that will be holding a juried exhibit later this summer. I've narrowed it down to the 6 pieces shown below.

1) Nested set of 3 Redwood burl, 9.5" X 3.5. All 3 pieces have round bottoms, the largest one sits on a ring turned out of Box Elder Burl
2) Nested set of 2 Douglas Fir burl. 14" X 3
3) Nested set of 3 Eucalyptus burl 8" X 5
4) Bug eaten spalted Palo Verde 18" X 4.5
5) Curly African Sumac platter - 18.5" X 2
6) Nested set of 2 Box Elder Burl 8" X 5

Which 3 should be submitted?

Thanks
Jason

Jason Clark2
06-02-2009, 2:12 AM
Last image.

Thanks
Jason

Bill Bolen
06-02-2009, 2:13 AM
Rather than using your 3 piece limit up in one 3 piece cored set I believe you would get a lot more exposure using a variety of different turnings to get to you limit...Bill...

Jason Clark2
06-02-2009, 2:21 AM
Rather than using your 3 piece limit up in one 3 piece cored set I believe you would get a lot more exposure using a variety of different turnings to get to you limit...Bill...

I believe the cored sets would each be considered one "work" consisting of multiple parts rather than each piece in the set being counted individually.

Jason

Christopher Fletcher
06-02-2009, 2:24 AM
euc burl set. Very nice set!

Judy Kingery
06-02-2009, 2:45 AM
Jason,

All are lovely, if I had to pick I'd say 3, 5, 6. Those are very, very nice! Let us know how it goes! I'd think they'd be very happy to show.

Jude

Ken George
06-02-2009, 4:39 AM
I'd submit 2, 4 and 6. I think that they are the most "artsy".

alex carey
06-02-2009, 4:56 AM
Definitely 3,4,6 wonderful work.

David Walser
06-02-2009, 5:03 AM
Jason,

No matter which of the others you submit, I think you should include the redwood burl nested set. First, it is, of course, beautiful -- the redwood burl is stunning. It's also different from all the others in that it's the only one that it's functional in a way the others are not. The others are natural edged, worm eaten, and/or have cracks and holes. If the jury is looking for pieces that are both beautiful and functional, the redwood set is your only hope.

Jeff Nicol
06-02-2009, 6:06 AM
Jason, As David said the Redwood set is a must for the exact reasons he stated. The simple true to bowl form with finished edge and the true beauty of the wood, and how the bowls nest together so well shows art, form, thought and presentation to the set. But my favorite is the eucylptus set as it has it all plus the NE, have fun and I am sure you will get great response to all you show!

Jeff

alex carey
06-02-2009, 6:18 AM
I'm a little surprised the bug eaten palo verde isn't getting more votes. I thought that would be considered very "artsy". I absolutely love it.

jack richington
06-02-2009, 7:53 AM
3,4,6 good luck

Steve Schlumpf
06-02-2009, 8:42 AM
Jason - good luck with whatever you submit!

I just got in to our local juried expo and went there this past weekend to see what everyone else had submitted. Found out I was the only one with any turnings.... Most everything else were either paintings, multi-media paintings or photos! The one thing that stuck out to me is how different everyone's views on 'What is Art?' can be.

I voted for #1, #4 and #6

With #1 I think it should be displayed without the stand so that it is free to roll around. The bowls are beautiful but the added dimension of movement to a traditionally static item may make a difference.

#4 I thought was different because of a bowl being formed within the cross-section of a tree branch. Not many folks have seen anything like that and the bonding of a man-made utility item with nature is a statement unto itself. Also like all the bug holes and that could lead to another debate!

#6 I like because of the form, the natural jagged edge and the color and grain of the wood.

Again - best of luck with your submissions! Looking forward to hearing that you were accepted to the show!

robert hainstock
06-02-2009, 8:44 AM
If this is and "art" show, the fourth piece is the most likely to suceed, with number three next. Good luck!
Bob

Robert McGowen
06-02-2009, 9:00 AM
I personally would not submit any of the nested bowls. There are too many variables that will make it hard to submit and judge. Most shows are juried with photographs. Also, you usually have a set number of photographs for each piece. How are you going to show all of the bowls in a nested set in just a couple of photos? All of the woodturners know what and how you did what you did, but how do you get that across to a jury? The jury will judge your work as "art", so how does your work qualify as art just because you were able to core 2 other bowls out of your wood? How would it be displayed? If you have them in a group, it just looks like 3 similar bowls. If you have them together, it looks like what it is, a set of bowls, not "art". (This sounds worse than I am trying to make it, but I have just done this a few times before.)

I would pick your best large bowl and let it stand on it's own. If you don't have the form, wood, and skill to get the larger one accepted, having two smaller ones with it won't help any. I voted for the crotch bowl. It catches your eye. It is apparent what it is. The wood is great.

Good luck with your choices whatever you decide!

Jason Clark2
06-02-2009, 4:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm a little closer to making a decision.

Thanks
Jason

Prashun Patel
06-02-2009, 5:37 PM
I particularly like the bug eaten sample. What a design!!!

Jim Kountz
06-02-2009, 5:40 PM
Nested set.

phil harold
06-02-2009, 6:09 PM
2 and 4 are my favourites

Skip Spaulding
06-02-2009, 6:32 PM
Got to go with 3,5,&6 but all are "GREAT"!!

Paul Gallian
06-02-2009, 7:39 PM
I am not learning to count -- but I like 1, 2, and 3 ...

Hope you win it all!! I am not fond of wishing for luck so I will say best to you.

Paul

Brian McInturff
06-02-2009, 8:17 PM
Jason,
When do you have to actually submit your pieces?I'd recommend, if you have time, to submit 2 of the 6 and start working on the 3rd item now. The reason I say this is I'm sure you are like most of us and you will always see things on your turnings you wish you had done different or better. A slight tool mark missed, no one else will probably see but you know it's there. Or the finish just doesn't have quite the luster you were really after. Or whatever. Knowing that you will enter it will cause you to put that little extra into it. I'm not saying anything is wrong with any of the 6, they all look terrific, but I know if it was me what would be going through my mind.
Now out of the 6, I would pick 1, 3, and 6.
Good luck!!:cool::cool: