PDA

View Full Version : What cabinet table saw do you recommend for BC resident

Daniel Shnitka
06-02-2009, 1:00 AM
A friend is considering a new table saw to replace his General Contractor saw that he is happy with. He wants his next saw to be quiet and more robust to eliminate vibration. He is looking at General International, General Canada or Steel City. Steel City has a very smooth fence. Some of the Generals come with splitters but no riving knife. I suggested the new Sawstop about to come out. Well your input would be appreciated. Money is no object when he wants to spend his retirement income. If he likes what he reads he will justify spending what he spent his whole life saving. He is not registered so I write his knowing he will be reading this post

scott spencer
06-02-2009, 7:13 AM
One of the best saws made is the Canadian made General 350/650....get one with a riving knife. Great saw, helps your local economy.

Rod Upfold
06-02-2009, 8:27 AM
I will second that...General 350/650

Rod

Rod Sheridan
06-02-2009, 8:35 AM
Here's another Rod, making a reccomendation for a General 650........Fantastic cabinet saw, now available with a riving knife.

My 650 has an Excalibur overarm guard, which I really like, it can be used for through and non through sawing operations.

Not to mention that the General is made in Canada.

That said however, I am considerng replacing my saw with a small slider such as a Felder or Hammer.

The cabinet saw hasn't changed in what 80 years? The only thing it does well is rip, and then only if you have a straight reference edge.

The sliders can straight line rip, conventional rip, and crosscut sheet goods. In addition most will accept a scoring saw for flawless cuts in veneered sheet goods, and most will cut to a 4" depth of cut.

Most sliders also accept special dado sets that resemble a shaper cutter, complete with scoring and hogging blades, perfectly flat, square dadoes without chipout.

Regards, Rod.

John Coloccia
06-02-2009, 8:53 AM
A friend is considering a new table saw to replace his General Contractor saw that he is happy with. He wants his next saw to be quiet and more robust to eliminate vibration. He is looking at General International, General Canada or Steel City. Steel City has a very smooth fence. Some of the Generals come with splitters but no riving knife. I suggested the new Sawstop about to come out. Well your input would be appreciated. Money is no object when he wants to spend his retirement income. If he likes what he reads he will justify spending what he spent his whole life saving. He is not registered so I write his knowing he will be reading this post

My local Woodcraft has the new Saw Stop set up. VERY cool saw. I wouldn't even call it a hybrid. It's like a junior cabinet saw. Anyhow, with or without the safety features, my contractor saw is just a really really well made saw right out of the box. It's definately worth a look.

Chuck Isaacson
06-02-2009, 9:41 AM
Here is another one for the General 650. Good saw and yes it does come with a riving knife.

John Ricci
06-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Chalk up another vote for the General 650R...it works for me.

J.R.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-02-2009, 3:37 PM
If money is no object, I would get a Sawstop cabinet saw, 5 horse.

In retirement, I can see a little lapse of memory/attention and the dreaded accident. I like having all 10 fingers. I get "senior moments" all the time....... And it is a great saw. Splitter/guard, riving knife, rock solid fence. Cast iron wings. Heavy saw.

Yeah, it has it's limitations. Don't wish to start another I hate Sawstop thread.

Paul Ryan
06-02-2009, 4:27 PM
If money is no object I would buy the original SS as well. If there is a little space limitations I would go with the new SS. The table is 3 in narower, and the saw is a little lighter. I own the new saw but both are excellent saws, and have the saftey features that no one else can match.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-02-2009, 4:47 PM
get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get a slider.

you will never - as in not even for a scosh of a fraction of an instant - regret having got a slider.

Brian Penning
06-02-2009, 7:00 PM
If money is no object he'd be a fool to not buy a SawStop.
Sold my General cab saw to get it.

Jason White
06-02-2009, 7:06 PM
For what it's worth, I just bought a Grizzly 1023SLX and absolutely love it. Cost me about $1200 shipped.

Jason

Scot Ferraro
06-02-2009, 7:12 PM
Another vote for the General -- I like the 350 but the 650 would be great too. I just retrofitted mine to include the riving knife (my saw was a few years old) and it works great. I have the Excalibur guard too like Rod Sheridan and it works great. If money is no object and if he has the space, I would get both -- a slider and the General cabinet saw :D-- this way he would have the best of both worlds and the ability to handle almost any type cutting situation that comes up with ease.

Scot

Joaquin Franco
06-02-2009, 7:15 PM
I recently upgraded from a General International 50-185 contractor saw to the new sawstop professional version. Love the sawstop saw and do not regret making the change. However, the new sawstop really does not compete with the larger industrial version. If money is not a problem, definately buy the Industrial Sawstop.

Richard Gibson
06-02-2009, 8:36 PM
I just pre-ordered the new Professional Sawstop that is coming out in August. (So you know what my choice is :D)

Mike Heidrick
06-02-2009, 9:17 PM
I own the industrial 5hp sawstop. It is awesome. I won't be upgrading until I get an industrial panelsaw - and that will be an addition someday not a replacement.

If you do not want a sawstop you will be happy with a General 650, PM2000, Jet Deluxe Exacta, New Uni, any of the good ones. If you are buying a new saw you will know it is a nice one - you will feel it just for a bit in the back right pocket. Plenty of good used cabinet saws out there. Get a Riving Knife.

Andy Bardowell
06-02-2009, 11:26 PM

"Money is no object"

Sawstop

David Colafranceschi
06-02-2009, 11:36 PM
I used to own a General 350 and liked it very much but it does have it's limitations. I had the Excalibur over arm guard and the unit never picked up any dust. I still feel crosscutting large panels or even sheet goods on a cabinet saw to be tricky and cumbersome-at best.

I ended up getting a Minimax S315 and couldn't be happier. Comes with an 8.5 ft slider and works like a dream. The over arm guard picks up all the dust and the machine never bogs down.

A cabinet saw is great but a panel saw is the ultimate.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-03-2009, 1:39 AM
If money is no object, forget a tablesaw, and get a machine that can actually offer a new set of options, and improve on the strengths of a traditional North American tablesaw. Get a good Euro slider. I'm partial to Felder, but there are other great brands.

They do everything better then the regular North American style saw, and do it safer.

If you really must have a traditional style saw, I'd go with the General 650.

If you have to keep up with the Jones's though, the SawStop probably provides the most wow factor for your non woodworker buddies. ;)